Tuesday

Episode 8

We pick up our story on the Ahpla yard where we left GINA and MIRI talking on a bench.

MIRI - You mean that AKA sorority party? Why would you be going to that? You want to mix and mingle with them?
GINA - Miri, that is what I have been trying to tell you and that is why I may have taken your writing the wrong way. I pledged at Mission College. I'm an AKA.
MIRI - What!

(WILLIE and THERESA approach the bench where GINA and MIRI are talking.)

WILLIE - Excuse me Miri, but can I talk to you for a minute?
MIRI - (ignores Willie) You're kidding right? Don't tell me your a damn AKA?
GINA - See Miri, that's what I'm talking about. You are so disrespectful! Don't you ever use profanity when you talk about my sisterhood!
MIRI - (raises his voice) Naw fuck that! How you gonna play me? You could have told me all this time that you was an AKA from the giddyup!
WILLIE - Wait a minute. Sister I don't know you, but Miri you aint gonna be calling no black woman out on the yard! You better check yourself on that!
MIRI - No, you need to mind your business, this aint got nothin' to do with you. This is between me and Miss Pink and Green here.
GINA - You know what Miri, I knew I shouldn't have dealt with your tired ass in the first place. You claim to be so self righteous and then you gonna try and trip on me out here in front of all these people on the yard. You and your play are both disrespectful and I don't ever want to see you again!
WILLIE - You a punk Miri! How you gonna talk out two sides of your neck bout how you down for the cause and then turn around and disrespect sisters?

(GINA puts down the manuscript and begins to walk away).

MIRI - Wait! How am I the bad guy? You were the one who lied to me and wasn't up front with me! Why didn't you tell me that day that we were on the yard and we saw the Alphas stepping? That was the perfect time to tell me. Here I am telling you all this shit about Greeks and my play and you just strollin' along.

(GINA stops)

GINA - Maybe I wasn't ready to tell you yet. But you just got finished telling me how you dig me and now that you know I am an AKA you aint feelin' me like that anymore? Then disrespect me by cursing at me?
THERESA - Willie, maybe we should be going.
MIRI - You disrespected me by not telling me! I can't believe this shit!

(still silence)

(MIRI picks up his manuscript and his bag and gathers his things. GINA turns and begins to walk away again. WILLIE looks at THERESA)

WILLIE - Miri I aint got no more words for you!

(MIRI packs his bag and walks away).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our story resumes in the Alpha Phi Alpha frat house. DONTE has finished talking to REGGIE on the phone. He walks back into the room where QUINTON, LARRY LAR and JASON are.

DONTE - Do ya'll have any idea what it means to be on line?
LARRY - I know you go through some hell but in the end it's all worth it because you get mad respect plus you get to do the same thing to some other boys the next semester.
QUINTON - I know it's important to learn history, but I thought the new term was membership intake.
DONTE - I guess you think you are not going to take wood either?
QUINTON - You mean getting paddled? Well, according to the national web page that type of
stuff doesn't happen anymore. It says that's not what being an Alpha is all about.
LARRY - I say if it's going to make me popular I don't care.
DONTE - (raises his voice) So that is what you think this is about? Are you all fuckin' crazy! I know you guys don't have a clue, but some things you should know! No damn wannabees are gonna be skatin' up in this chapter! We are about serious business and I will let this chapter die before I let niggas in that don't care about shit and aint down to take some shit!
JASON - Excuse me sir, I don't think I...I mean we, understand what you want us to do.
DONTE- Ok, let me make it plain. Stand up!

(The three stand up)

DONTE - Extend you arms palms facing down and bend your knees like you are sitting down! This is called the chair. Now get in the chair!

(The three do it. Doorbell rings. DONTE opens the door and TREY and REGGIE come in together)

TREY - What's up frat? '06!
DONTE - What's the deal?
REGGIE - Damn, I see you got started without us.
DONTE - Yeah I had to bruh. These idiots are the worse I have ever seen!

(DONTE slaps the top of QUINTON's hand very hard. QUINTON looks shocked)

REGGIE - What! You got a problem? Do you want to be an Alpha?
QUINTON - Yes.
REGGIE - Then you better suck this shit up! This aint nothin' yet. Many brothers fought and sacrificed hard so you are gonna work hard (slap) as (slap) hell (slap) too (slap)!
TREY - (grabs JASON) You gonna just sit there and watch your boy get slapped around? Show some brotherhood and help him stupid!

(JASON places his hands over QUINTON's hands just before DONTE slaps down hard again)

DONTE - You still want to be popular Larry? If you can't get the ladies now, these letters aint gonna help you one bit. So get that stupid shit out your head right (slap) now (slap)!

(Doorbell rings. By this time the three are sweating)

DONTE - Stand up and look relaxed!

(DONTE opens the door and grips NINO).

NINO - Aaaaawwww shit!
DONTE - Get back in the chair! And now we will have a little history lesson.

(The slapping continues. QUINTON feels tears swelling up in his eyes. There is a key in the door and BOBBY walks in)

(silence)

BOBBY - What the hell is going on in here?
DONTE - Yo um...we just having a meeting, with some interested gentlemen.
BOBBY - Ok you three come here.

(BOBBY walks the three outside of the house)

BOBBY - Listen, go home. Here is my phone number, I am Bobby and I am president of the chapter. I want each of you to call me tomorrow night at 7:06, 8:06 and 9:06 respectively. Understood?
JASON - Yes.

(BOBBY returns inside)

DONTE - Yo bruh, don't even trip. We was just playin' a little.
BOBBY - (raising his voice) Playin' a little? Are you stupid or something? That shit could get us suspended! Did you check them out, are any of there father's Alphas? How about any uncles or relatives?
DONTE - I don't know.
BOBBY - Yeah I didn't think you knew. And you are the oldest bro here, you should know better. Matter of fact, you must be the oldest bro in this region! Why the fuck don't you quit hazin' niggas and graduate?

(REGGIE snickers)

DONTE - Who you think you talkin' to young brother?
BOBBY - I think I am talkin' to you! I am the damn president and if none of you bros have any sense, I'll think for yall! And you know what, Donte you are suspended. We are too close to chapter of the year for you to fuck us up!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is Saturday night and the AKA party is packed! DJ D-Rock is on the wheels and everyone's has their hands up as he mixes "Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See". The bass sounds as a heavy 'Dum Dum Dum Dum....Dum Dum....clack...Dum Dum Dum Dum...Dum Dum...clack!'

DERRICK - This party is actually kinda phat! Look at all these people and D-Rock is goin' for his on the turntables!
JUNE - Yeah but I gotta stay pressed. Actually, let me go and speak to this AKA near us. Baby I'll be right back.
DERRICK - Aight.

(JUNE walks and begins talking to MAX, they both walk into hallway)

CARYN - Hey mister.
DERRICK - Oh what's up?
CARYN - Nothin' much. You look good tonight.
DERRICK - Thanks.
CARYN - Where is your girl?
DERRICK - Out there. (he points to the hallway).
CARYN - So can I sneak in a dance with you or what? You still owe me from when we was at Amgis.
DERRICK - How do I owe you anything?
CARYN - You came by the room and then you were quicker than that shot that you missed.
DERRICK - I was tired and I wasn't in the mood.
CARYN - Well you owe me another night.
DERRICK - Well not tonight because June is here.
JUNE - I wanted to know if we could meet sometime and discuss your organization at a time that is convenient for you.
MAX - Are you sure you are ready for this type of commitment? Alpha Kappa Alpha women are hard workers and we don't need any dead weight. What are your grades like?
JUNE - My overall G.P.A. is 3.65 and my major is chemistry.
MAX - Well then I want you to get to know Octavia. Her major is in the sciences too and she has good grades. I want you to learn all you can about her before this party is over and get back to me with what you have learned. I don't want to ask a question about Octavia that you can't answer.

"I Don't Want to be a Playa No More, I'm Not a Play I Just Crush Alot..."

BOBBY - Aaaawww that is my cut right there!
(BOBBY spins around as ALEXIS grabs his waist from behind. He sees Trina across the floor. He turns back around)
BOBBY - Did I tell you that I suspended Donte?
ALEXIS - Yeah you told me how he jeopardized a lot of stuff with the chapter.
BOBBY - Yeah, but you know, I kinda feel bad about that now. Listen, give me a minute and let me say something to him. I'll be right back.
ALEXIS - Ok but hurry back.
BOBBY - Hey Baby!
TRINA - Bobby! What's up sweetie!
BOBBY - Come here baby, wow you look great!

(They walk out into the hallway and head for a secluded area. They kiss)

TRINA - So where is your better half?
BOBBY - Alexis is in the party.

"Where My Dogs At? I'm Right Here Dog! Where My Dogs At? I'm Right Here Dog!"

RONNIE - All by yourself?
ALEXIS - Hey Ronnie, what's going on?
RONNIE - They playin' my anthum so I just stepped your way, since your man left you hangin'.
ALEXIS - Oh he'll be right back. He is talking to one of his frat brothers.
RONNIE - Oh really? That's funny because all of the Alphas are over there getting ready to step. I don't see him, and I thought I saw him in the hall talking to a girl. I thought maybe it was one of your friends.
ALEXIS - A girl? Where?
RONNIE - (smiling) Right out there.
(ALEXIS begins to walk out)
ALEXIS - Reggie have you seen Bobby? Ronnie said he saw him leave with some girl.
REGGIE thinks "Oh shit!" Yeah he went to go page Wil because he aint here. But you stay here and I will send him right back in.
ALEXIS - Thanks.
(REGGIE runs to find BOBBY).
REGGIE thinks "That motherfucker Ronnie is hatin' like shit! Aight it's on!"

"If You Like to Have Sex Put Your Hands Up! Put Your Hands Up! Put Your Hands Up!"

(JASON and THERESA put there hands up together and grab hands in the air)

THERESA - J, what happened to your hands? They look all swollen.
JASON - Uh yeah, that came from playin' ball today.
THERESA - Your hands got all swollen like this from playing basketball?
JASON - Yeah, you know how local niggas are on the court. They always just swingin' for the ball and hackin' you. Slapping you all around.
THERESA - Oh, damn!

"I'm Just Tryin' To Be Me and Do What I Gotta Do. But People Think That I'm Sittin' on Top of the World!"

MONA - That's my song girl because I am sitting on top of the world!
PJ - Well can you come down off your world and look more pressed. Here comes April
April - PJ, I see you made it.
PJ - Yes, I wanted to start the semester off right and begin my journey with this event. Which by the way is wonderful, great turn out.
MONA - April I have a question for you.
APRIL - I wasn't talking to you.
MONA - See that is my question. Why you always got an attitude with me?
APRIL - An attitude with you? I come home from school and you and some other heffas are in my room! Then you tell me that your mother is my soror like that is supposed to guarantee you something! Now you step to me and question a soror. I think you need some time, like a few years to figure out how to do this!
PJ - April let me talk to her. I will let her know what...
MONA - No I don't agree. If I need to ask a question, I don't think that there is anything wrong with that. It is only so that I will know what I have to know. What is your problem?
PJ - Mona shut up!
APRIL - What is my problem? Bitch do you know who you are talking to?

"I Get So Lonely, Can't Let Just Anybody Hold Me,"

OCTAVIA - What's the matter Gina. You look so sad.
GINA - I'm sorry soror. I don't want you here worrying about me. You should be having fun.
OCTAVIA - Not if one of my sorors is hurting. Now what's up?
GINA - It's just this song, I just ended things with a guy I was kinda diggin'. I think.
OCTAVIA - Sorry to hear that. You want to talk about it?
JUNE - Excuse me, is there any way I could talk to you for just a few minutes Octavia?

"I Should Make A Move But I Won't.....I Want To Get Down But Not The First Night"

KATRICE thinks "Damn that April is fine. I have got to talk to her. Even if it is AKA business, I just need to get a little closer to her.

No comments: