Tuesday

Episode 39

We last left KATRICE dialing JUNE. She just found out that APRIL is seeing DERRICK.

JUNE - Hello?
KATRICE - June.
JUNE - Hi Katrice, I am so nervous. Everytime the phone rings I think it is an AKA.
KATRICE - I know, I'm the same way. Have you heard anything?
JUNE - No, have you.
KATRICE - Yeah, I made it.
JUNE - You did! Oh my God, congratulations! I knew you would make it! Oh God, I hope I make it too.
KATRICE - Yeah...thanks. I'm sure you will.
JUNE - What's the matter? You don't sound too excited.
KATRICE - I need to talk to you about something.
JUNE - What's wrong? Aren't you happy that you made line?
KATRICE - Oh yes, I am very happy. This is something I have prayed about for a long time. I couldn't be happier about that.
JUNE - Then what is bothering you?

(pause)

KATRICE - I really don't know how to say this.
JUNE - Just say it girl, you can tell me.
JUNE thinks - Wow, I wonder what is wrong.
KATRICE laughing - And the funny thing is...I don't know if this bothers me more because of your position...or my feelings toward...nevermind. What I mean to say is...this is really hard.
JUNE - Katrice, you are my sister. Trust me, I am here for you and whatever it is that is troubling you.
KATRICE - This has nothing to do with me, and all to do with you.
JUNE - Oh God, I didn't make line!
KATRICE - No, it isn't that. It has nothing to do with AKA either.
JUNE - Then what on earth is it?
KATRICE - Your ex boyfriend is seeing someone.

(silence)

JUNE - Derrick?
KATRICE - Yeah.
JUNE - Are you sure? How do you know?
KATRICE- Well I was talking to...
JUNE - Wait a minute, Derrick is what? I don't believe you!
KATRICE - June, I have no reason to call you and lie to you. Why would I call you and make something like this up? I am very hurt for you but I knew it was something that I had to tell you.
JUNE crying -I can't believe it? How could he date someone else so fast? Oh God, I don't believe this!
KATRICE - I'm sorry June. I'm so sorry.

(JUNE starts to cry to the point where her words are no longer making any sense.)

JUNE- I...thought...that...we...we...we...would...be...able...toget...back...to...together
KATRICE - I know, I remember. June calm down, it is going to be ok.
JUNE - But I don't understand? How could he see someone so quickly? Didn't I mean anything to him?

(KATRICE starts to think about APRIL)

KATRICE - Sometimes people don't take your feelings into consideration. And that shit is fucked up.
JUNE - I can't believe this...

(JUNE cries harder and KATRICE feels bad that she even told JUNE.)

KATRICE thinks - Damn, this is fucked up. I feel like shit for June but I really feel worse because I want April for myself! Dammit this is fucked up.
KATRICE - June? June?
JUNE crying - Yes.
KATRICE - There's more.
JUNE - Huh?
KATRICE - I have something else to tell you and it isn't good either.
JUNE - Oh no, he got...somebody...pregnant!
KATRICE - Oh no, it isn't that at all. It is who he is seeing.
JUNE - Is it someone I know? Oh God, don't tell me it's someone I know!
KATRICE - It's April.
JUNE - What!
KATRICE thinks - Here it comes!
JUNE - April the AKA?
KATRICE - Yes.

(KATRICE hears a crash as JUNE throws the phone against the wall.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We change scenes and find GINA who is at home. She has prepared a dinner for MIRI. She is waiting for him to arrive.

GINA thinks - I hope this chicken turns out ok. I want everything to go smooth tonight.

(GINA looks at the clock and wonders if MIRI will be his usual early self or if he will arrive late this time on purpose.)

GINA thinks - I hope he isn't still upset. It's so hard to tell with Miri. Ever since he blew up on the yard that day, he has been extra careful not to cross that line again. But now I don't know when he is upset and when he isn't. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to rush after all.

(GINA checks on the rice. It is cooking properly.)

GINA thinks - It isn't every day you find a good man like him. I really shouldn't take him for granted. He really was looking forward to the Hezekiah concert. I know I broke his heart that night. I just hope this will make him feel better about us. I do love him.

(Telephone rings)

GINA - Hello?
MAX - Hi Soror.
GINA - Oh hello Madam Dean! Ha ha ha ha.
MAX laughing - You're silly. What's going on?
GINA - I am cooking a dinner for Miri, he is on his way over now.
MAX - Oh that's cool. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up. There is a girl who is trying to make line, her name is Mona Ferguson. We don't care for her too much because she is cocky as hell.
GINA - I remember her! Why is she so cocky?
MAX - Because she is legacy.
GINA - Oh I see.
MAX - And not only that, her mother helped found this chapter.
GINA - Wow, that is deep!
MAX - Well here is the deal. She handed in her packet along with everyone else but we conveniently lost a letter from her packet. So the letter that we sent her is a rejection letter because of an incomplete application. That renders her ineligible for this school semester. So I wanted to let you know the deal, just in case someone asks.
GINA - Oh sure, I fully understand. No problem.

(Knock. Knock)

GINA - Oh Max, that must be Miri.
MAX - Cool girl. Well good luck with dinner and have fun tonight. But not too much fun.
GINA - Ha ha ha, we'll see. Talk to ya lata.
MAX - Aight girl.

(GINA hangs up and quickly looks in the mirror and adjusts her hair.)

GINA opening door - Hi honey.
MIRI - Hey.

(MIRI comes in and they hug.)

GINA - You look nice.
MIRI - Thanks, so do you. Damn, it smells good in here.
GINA - Thanks, come sit down.

(GINA sits MIRI down and goes into the kitchen. She returns with a bottle of red wine and two glasses.)

GINA - How about a little before dinner?
MIRI - Sure, thanks.

(GINA pours into the two glasses and they sip.)

GINA - Let me see if the rice is finished ok?
MIRI - Sure.

(GINA returns into the kitchen.)

MIRI thinks - Dag, I feel bad that she went through all this trouble.
MIRI - You didn't have to go through all this trouble.
GINA - Oh it was my pleasure. I enjoy making you happy.
MIRI thinks - Yeah, whatever.

(GINA comes out with two plates of food. Chicken breast, mushrooms with gravy, rice and corn.)

MIRI - Gina this looks really good.
GINA - Thanks, I hope you like it.
MIRI - I'm sure I will.

(They begin to eat.)

(silence)

GINA - I just want to say I am really sorry about what happened. I have felt bad ever since and I know you had your heart set on going to see Hezekiah Walker.

(MIRI looks up at GINA and returns to eating his food.)

GINA thinks - Ok wow.
GINA - So what did you end up doing that night?
MIRI - Gina, I have to be honest with you. This small talk is silly. I really appreciate this food and everything but I have come to a conclusion about us.

(GINA puts her fork down.)

MIRI - I respect you and your organization. But I am not in a position where I can compete with them. Nor should I. I don't like the feeling that I even have to compete with them.

(GINA wants to offer a rebuttal, but she waits.)

MIRI - So basically...I think it is probably best...
GINA - Wait, are you breaking up with me?

(pause)

MIRI - Yes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next we find MONA who is in her room. She has just came in from class and just got her mail from her mailbox.

MONA - Oooh, a letter from Alpha Kappa Alpha! The moment of truth.

(MONA opens the envelope and reads the letter out loud.)

MONA - Dear Applicant, we regret to inform you that...What!

(MONA drops the letter and stares into thin air. She can't believe what she just read. She thinks that maybe she may have read it wrong. She picks it back up.)

MONA - Dear Applicant, we regret to inform you that you have been declined...I can't believe this! This is bullshit!

(MONA goes to the phone and quickly dials.)

SYLVIA - Hello.
MONA - Yes Sylvia please.
SYLVIA - This is Sylvia.
MONA - Sylvia, this is Mona.
SYLVIA - What can I do for you Mona?
MONA - I received a rejection letter from your chapter and I want to know why?
SYLVIA thinks - You are bold as shit!
SYLVIA - I don't, nor do other members of this chapter discuss matters of that nature with interested applicants. Your application was reviewed and for whatever reason, it was turned down. But you are certainly more than welcome to try again next year.
MONA - Oh yeah? Well we'll see about that.
SYLVIA - I suppose.
MONA - Good bye Sylvia.
SYLVIA - Goo...

(click)

MONA thinks - Ok, they want to play that shit where they can't tell me why I didn't make it? What the hell was wrong with me? My grades are tight as shit, my application was more than complete, I checked it over 5 times myself. And my mother is a chapter founder and an active soror. This isn't fair!

(MONA grabs the phone again and quickly dials again. MONA begins to cry but moreso out of anger.)

MRS. FERGUSON - Hello?
MONA crying - Mommy!
MRS. FERGUSON - What's the matter sweetheart?
MONA crying - Mommy, I didn't make line!
MRS. FERGUSON - What? What are you talking about?
MONA crying - I got a letter of rejection from the chapter. And then I called the basileus and she would not even discuss with me why I didn't make it.
MRS. FERGUSON - Well that's impossible. I'm active and I am a blood relative, your mother for Christ sake. Let alone my significance with that chapter.
MONA crying - That's what I thought.
MRS. FERGUSON - Stop crying dear, I will handle this.
MONA - But mommy, I don't want to make line on your merit. I want to make it on my own.
MRS. FERGUSON - This is not about that. Regardless, there is a protocall that has to be followed. This organization has guidelines and procedures and I will not let my baby girl be denied when she is due.
MONA - Ok.
MRS. FERGUSON - Don't worry, it will be alright. Momma soror will take care of everything.
MONA - Thank you mommy.
MRS. FERGUSON - Ok sweetie, I will call you back ok? Calm down?
MONA - Ok. Bye bye.
MRS. FERGUSON - Goodbye dear.

(MRS. FERGUSON and MONA hang up.)

MRS. FERGUSON - Oh I can't believe this! My own sorority sisters, I can't believe they would do something like this. I will get to the bottom of this right now.

(MRS. FERGUSON dials another number.)

SOROR BERGEN - Hello.
SOROR FERGUSON - Hello Dana.
SOROR BERGEN - Hello Melinda, how are you?
SOROR FERGUSON - I'm fine soror, how are you?
SOROR BERGEN - I'm blessed. It's good to hear from you.
SOROR FERGUSON - You too Dana, as a matter of fact, I wish this was purely a social call and not business related.
SOROR BERGEN - Oh really, well what can I do for you?
SOROR FERGUSON - You know Mona is at Ahpla now and she is trying to become a member of the chapter there.
SOROR BERGEN - Yes.
SOROR FERGUSON - Apparently, she has run into a few problems. Firstly, some of the young sorors don't like her. Now she tells me that she received a rejection letter from the chapter, and she is very upset.
SOROR BERGEN - A rejection letter? On what grounds?
SOROR FERGUSON - They wouldn't tell her.
SOROR BERGEN - That can't happen, Mona is legacy.
SOROR FERGUSON - I know.
SOROR BERGEN - So how do you want me to handle this?
SOROR FERGUSON - You're the regional director, you tell me.
SOROR BERGEN - I can launch an investigation into the practices of the intake on campus. Then we can really get to the bottom of things.
SOROR FERGUSON - I am more concerned with Mona being treated fairly. I don't want to mess things up for anyone else.
SOROR BERGEN - Ok no problem. Mona will be a member of the chapter, this semester. I will see to it.

No comments: