Tuesday

Episode 5

Our story picks up late afternoon, outside of the Ahpla Dome. Basketball practice has just ended and JUNE meets DERRICK outside.

JUNE - Hey Baby!
DERRICK - Hey what's up?

(They hug and begin to walk)

JUNE - You seem to be in a bad mood. What's wrong.
DERRICK - I got mad heat from JOHNSON for that shot I took. So now I got benched for 2 games. I've been running laps all practice.
JUNE - Damn! I guess we both in bad moods then.
DERRICK - Why you moody? Because I got benched?
JUNE - No, I got caught up with one of the AKA's and she almost went off on me and a few other girls. But luckily, we made it out fast.
DERRICK-Wait, I'm lost. Why would an AKA go off on you?
JUNE - Well apparently, when you are interested, they nag to see if you are quality material. You know, they see what you are made of and if you fit in well with them.
DERRICK - Well what's that got to do with you? I know you aint tryin to pledge no sorority!
JUNE - And why not?

(DERRICK raises his tone)

DERRICK - Are you serious? I don't want you doin' that shit! Frats and sororities aint about nothing but profiling and that's straight garbage!
JUNE - Wait, first of all, I don't know who you are raising your voice at. And I don't know what fraternities and sororities you been checkin' out but all the chapters here at Ahpla have been on point for years. The histories and the legacies here are phat. What are you talking about?
DERRICK - Naw, so many of my boys pledged and then changed. You know Ronnie the Que. That was my nigga, and now look at him. He acts mad stupid with the rest of the Ques every time them niggas are on the yard.
JUNE - Then he was mad stupid to begin with. You sayin' that I'm gonna change.
DERRICK - I'm not saying that. And I apologize for raising my voice. All I'm saying is I don't think that these organizations are about anything deep. They claim to be, but they are just excuses for people to beat other people up and then mack honeys or get niggas. And I can't see you as a part of that. They're whack in my eyes and I don't want you doing it.
JUNE - Well I can't speak for other organizations and other campuses. But Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. is a sisterhood of women that do community service. But beyond that it is a huge networking pool world wide so I'll never be alone. And knowing that some of the greatest women of our time have come through the same doors is mind blowing to me. I want to have a sisterly bond with greatness and that is what Alpha Kappa Alpha is to me. If I am so fortunate to make line, I am doing this. I just hope that when it is all said and done, you are there for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We join the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha in Slowe Hall where they conduct their chapter meeting. SYLVIA is presiding, MAX is present as well as APRIL and ASHANTE.

SYLVIA - So it is set then. The party will be October 3rd, $10 and $8 for Greeks.
APRIL - Should it be free for the Bros?
SYLVIA - Oh no doubt. They always look out for us, so the First Family discount is on.

(OCTAVIA comes in the room with GINA)

OCTAVIA - Hey Sorors, sorry I am late. This is a transfer soror from Mission.
GINA - Hello Sorors!
EVERYONE - Hello Soror!
ASHANTE - Welcome Soror, what is your name?
GINA - I'm GINA, I'm a political science major.

(They both sit down next to APRIL)

MAX - Ok sorors, the next order of business is.............
APRIL - (whispers) Why you late sands?
OCTAVIA - My Bio lab ran late. My experiments weren't finished incubating yet.
APRIL - Yeah but what is more important? (smiling)
OCTAVIA - Graduating!
MAX - So at this point, the interested ladies can call us and meet with us, but that is it. No personal favors from them to us. Is that understood? It is too soon for that kind of stuff.
APRIL - What about the fact that I came home last week and there were 2 or 3 of them in my room with PJ! And one of them was on some ol' my mom pledged here so you need to know me!
ASHANTE - WHAT!!
APRIL - Yeah, her mom is Soror Melinda Ferguson.
ASHANTE - Ok, we definitely don't want Soror Ferguson bringing any kind of drama. So be careful with her.
APRIL - Yeah but she is full of it. You should have heard the way that she said her name to me.
SYLVIA - Nonetheless, ASHANTE is right. Look out for her and just be careful.
OCTAVIA - (whispers) What's up with PJ? Is she trying again or what?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We join NINO and GREGG in their room in Tandy Hall.

GREGG - I'm tellin' you yo, these babes be on you man! I can't see why you don't be messin' with some of them. Some of them are fine as shit. I saw them watchin' you when yall were stepping.
NINO - Yeah right. You should have been watching how good we are.
GREGG - Oh yall got a little something, but yall aint as hot as the Nupes! Yo Yo!
NINO - (laughing) Yeah whatever. But this is the reason I aint messin' around like you.

(NINO picks up a picture of his girl)

GREGG - I hear that bra. She is all that. But I'm sayin'. She is there and you are here. What you think she is doing down there. With all those fine brothers at Southern, sshhhiittt....with all those fine Nupes down there!
NINO - (laughing)- She is doing the exact same thing that I am doing here. Nothing. I love my girl and she loves me.
GREGG - Well that nothing from you is about to change. I met this girl on the yard when yall were actin' like yall could step. Anyway, she is coming over with her roommate.
NINO - What!
GREGG - Yeah man, she is a cutey and she is a freshman. And I looked out for you and told her to bring her roommate.
NINO - Man, you didn't look out for me! You disrespected me, because you know the deal. I aint with that.
GREGG - Come on man, we're just gonna chill over here and get into a movie or something.
NINO - Yeah right, well you have fun.

(NINO puts on his jacket)

GREGG - So you gonna leave?
NINO - Hell yeah. I'll be back later.
GREGG - Aight son. But you don't know what you are missing.

(NINO leaves. 15 minutes later there is a knock on the door. GREGG opens the door)

CARYN - Hey GREGG, this is my roommate CYNTHIA.
GREGG - Hey ladies, come on in.
CARYN - (smiling) - You gonna do a Kappa step for us?
GREGG - (smiling) - Only if you do an Ahpla cheer for me.

No comments: