Tuesday

Episode 41

The weekâs episode begins with MONA, SOROR BERGEN, and SOROR FERGUSON who are on a conference call.

SOROR FERGUSON - Mona honey, I have Mrs. Bergen on the line with us. She is a good friend of mine and a soror

MONA - Hello Maam.

SOROR BERGEN - Hello dear.

SOROR FERGUSON - Mona she is here to help find out where the communication may have broken down and try and find out if something can be done.

SOROR BERGEN - Yes. Now Mona, you say that the chapter members did not receive your full packet?

MONA - That is what they said. I know I gave everything in. I triple checked it. They requested certain requirements and letters. I had all that. I submitted my transcript and I have the grades. I donât know how something could have been misplaced.

SORORO BERGEN - I see.

MONA - Plus my mother is a soror. I figured that would certainly be enough.

SOROR FERGUSON - Yeah, me too.

SOROR BERGEN thinks - But don't you want to be admitted on your own merit?

SOROR BERGEN - Do you think that the members of the chapter would have any other reason for not allowing you into the chapter.

MONA - Besides the fact that they don't like me?

SOROR BERGEN - What do you mean?

MONA - They are always giving me attitude. One girl cursed at me. Another didnât even want to acknowledge me when I was speaking to her. She said something about speaking correctly to a soror. Well what about speaking correctly to me? Iâm human too.

SOROR FERGUSON - Calm down baby.

MONA - But that pissed me off. It just seems like they don't like me so they donât want me in the chapter. So I set my goal to prove to all of them that I can and I will get in.

SOROR BERGEN - Don't you think that is a bad reason to want to enter the sorority?

MONA - That was not my original intent. I originally want to be an AKA because Alpha Kappa Alpha is something I have looked up to since I was a little girl. From travelling to the conferences with my mom, to seeing the chapter here at Ahpla. This new attitude of mine is as a result to how they treated me.

SOROR BERGEN - I see. Don't you think that your attitude toward the current members and their attitude toward you will hinder your life as a soror working within the chapter at Ahpla?

MONA - No. I think once I put on the pink and green that is due me, it will be one sisterhood. I am big enough to get over things in my past. I hope that they are too. And if not, I will be an AKA for the rest of my life, well after Ahpla University.

SOROR BERGEN thinks - Pink and green that is due me?

SOROR FERGUSON - Thatâs true dear.

SOROR BERGEN thinks - This girl isn't ready. She is ridiculous!

SOROR BERGEN - What are your thoughts Melinda?

SOROR FERGUSON - I just want Mona to be treated fairly. It just seems to me that a lot of pettiness is going on with the sorors on the campus now. Back in our day, those types of things didn't take place. It was never any pettiness. For instance, the chapter basileus called and told me that Mona told her about some other interested young lady wearing paraphanelia and logged into some sorority or Alpha chat room or something on the internet.
MONA thinks - Oh shit!

MONA - What was that? Someone told you what?

SOROR FERGUSON - Oh Mona, I didn't tell you? Sylvia told me some nonsense about you seeing PJ in a chat room on the internet pertaining to Alphas and AKA's. And that she had paraphanelia on. That is rather petty and should be solved on the campus level. There is no point in calling me for something of that nature.

MONA - I agree, I can't believe Sylvia called you!

MONA thinks - Damn, I thought that got brushed under the rug!

SOROR BERGEN thinks - This girl needs to wait a year...or two...but should I tell Melinda that?

SOROR BERGEN - Let me get this straight Melinda. Sylvia is saying that Mona saw another young lady wearing the Alpha Kappa Alpha letters who is not a member of the sorority?

SOROR FERGUSON - Yes.

SOROR BERGEN - Then maybe we need to get this young lady on the phone and find out why she is in direct violation for wearing the letters without permission. What is this young ladyâs name?

SOROR FERGUSON - Presjina.

SOROR BERGEN - Mona would you care to tell me how this whole situation with Sylvia transpired? Then maybe I can get to the bottom of that as well in my investigation.

MONA thinks - Dammit!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change and we join the crowd that has gathered on the yard for the Alpha and AKA greetings. The AKAâs have just finished their greetings and the Alphas are marching out.

WILLIE - The AKA line looks pretty tight. They got mad props. I just hope that my girls look tight when they come out.

THERESA - Uh huh.

WILLIE - Don't hate just because you aint greek.

THERESA - Whatever.

WILLIE - What is wrong with you? You have been spaced out all day.

THERESA - I just can't wait to see the look on his face!

WILLIE - Who Jason?

THERESA - Yeah.

WILLIE - You need to let that go girl. You are obsessed with that shit.

THERESA - He put his hands on me!

WILLIE - I know and you did the right thing. You notified campus security and filed the report. Now let them handle it and stop focusing on it. That's all you talk about.

THERESA - Fuck that, I want him to fry! I want him kicked off line, kicked out of school, kicked off campus, suspended, expelled and put in jail

WILLIE - You really have issues girl...oh here comes the Alpha line now.

THERESA thinks - Right on time.

THERESA - This should be great!

WILLIE - What the greetings?

THERESA - No, the arrest.

WILLIE - What are you talking about?

THERESA - I guess I can let you in on the secret.

WILLIE - What secret?

THERESA - I made sure the campus police would pick Jason up today, right here on the yard.

WILLIE - What?

THERESA - Yep, isn't that classic?

WILLIE - How did you do that?

THERESA - I just smooth talked this cute cop. Having a nice pair of legs didn't hurt in my persuading him either.

WILLIE - Theresa that is foul!

THERESA - Why?

WILLIE - Because this isn't an issue with Alpha Phi Alpha. This is a situation with you and Jason. You are going to bring embarrassment to the whole chapter.

THERESA - Fuck them.

WILLIE - You know what...you really need help. I just hope for your sake this doesn't backfire on you.

THERESA - Oh it won't. The cop seemed very eager to help me. He insisted that he be the one to take care of this and only him.

WILLIE - Well let's see if we can scoot in between some of these people to get a better view.

THERESA - Cool.

(THERESA and WILLIE make their way almost to the front of the crowd. THERESA stays behind WILLIE though and she pulls her baseball cap down just in case SPHINXMAN JASON sees her.)

THERESA thinks - Yeah nigga, we'll see who gets the last laugh now!

NINO - What yall niggas know about the dirty south huh?

THERESA thinks - You aint gonna have my heart out there and have me thinking that we are gonna have a relationship and then step on me! It doesn't work that way buddy!

SPHINXMAN LARRY - Remix!

THERESA thinks - You aint even all that anyway! I can get a man that looks better than you!

(WILLIE squats down and THERESA is now in full view. SPHINXMAN JASON sees THERESA and is shocked. He starts choking and grabs his chest. He then falls to the ground.)

THERESA thinks - Ha! I must have a deadly glance!

(The crowd laughs because they think it is a joke at first. Then the other SPHINXMEN grab SPHINXMAN JASON and the Alphas rush over. They roll SPHINXMAN JASON over and he isn't breathing.)

REGGIE - Somebody call an ambulance!

THERESA thinks - Oh this is the best! This is really a treat!

WILLIE - Theresa, go for help! That boy is hurt and not breathing!

THERESA - I aint goin' nowhere! I wouldn't miss this for a million dollars! Ha ha ha ha ha!

(The crowd is making a lot of noise and THERESA begins to laugh.)

THERESA - Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

(Everyone in the crowd focuses on the officer making his way through. Someone bumbs into THERESA to get out of the officer's way. She snaps out of a daze and realizes she has been daydreaming. She glances from behind WILLLIE at SPHINXMAN JASON who is still doing greetings.)

THERESA thinks - Ok here we go!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The OFFICER is now talking with REGGIE and BOBBY?

BOBBY - There must be some mistake officer.

OFFICER - No mistake. I am here for Jason. Which one is he?

REGGIE - Sir, I can vouch for Jason's whereabouts for the last few weeks. I can assure you that he has been within the confines of our fraternity pledge activities. We know nothing of him assualting anyone.

(The SPHINXMEN overhear what the discussion is about.)

SPHINXMAN QUINTON whispers - Yo Jason, what happened?

SPHINXMAN JASON whispers - I don't know.

SPHINXMAN QUINTON whispers - You assaulted someone?

SPHINXMAN JASON whispers - Hell no, I have been pledging with you guys ever since...oh wait a minute...

(DONTE approaches the line.)

DONTE - Shut the hell up until we figure out what this is about. You know anything about this Sphinxman?

SPHINXMAN JASON - It may be an incident that happened a few weeks ago Big Brother Ezah. I slapped this girl.

DONTE whispers - You pimp slapped a bitch? I hear it!

(The crowd starts talking amongst themselves.)

STUDENT - One of the Sphinxmen is getting arrested?

STUDENT - I don't know.

THERESA - I heard one of them raped somebody.

WILLIE - Theresa!

(THERESA smiles and pulls her hat down.)

BOBBY - Sir, can we discuss this somewhere else? There are a lot of people around and I am sure we can come to some definitive conculsion about this if we can talk about it.

OFFICER - Certainly. You and you, come with me.

REGGIE - Nino, take them inside Pearl.

(REGGIE and BOBBY walk with the OFFICER through the crowd.)

NINO - Ok guys, let's go.

(NINO leads the line to Pearl. The crowd follows but waits outside of the library as WIL and TREY wait outside and DONTE and NINO go in.)

BOBBY - Sir, we can't afford for one of our boys to be in trouble like this.

OFFICER - I know.

BOBBY thinks - You know?

OFFICER - First of all, I need a few questions answered.

REGGIE - Sure, whatever you need sir.

OFFICER - How long have these guys been online?

REGGIE - Three weeks.

OFFICER - And how much history do they know?

(silence)

REGGIE - Huh?

OFFICER - Do they know the Jewels?

REGGIE - Uh...the Jewels?

OFFICER - Yeah. What sphinxmen doesnât know the Jewels? You think I can get a greeting from these boys or what?

BOBBY - Youâre frat?

OFFICER - Fall eighty five! Whatâs up frat!

(BOBBY gives the officer the grip and REGGIE sighs relief.)

BOBBY - Frat, you scared the shit out of us!

OFFICER - Bruh, be glad it's me that's here. Let me hip you to what's going on.

(REGGIE grips the officer.)

OFFICER - This girl comes into my office and files a complaint that one of your boys slapped her to the ground on the yard. She wanted him picked up but she specifically wanted him arrested out here on the yard in front of everyone.

REGGIE - What?

OFFICER - Yeah. Once she told me that the guy was on line for Alpha, I told her that I would make sure it got taken care of. Of course, I never filed the report.

REGGIE - Thanks frat.

OFFICER - No problem. But let me give you this girl's name and information. You may not have heard the last of her.

No comments: