Tuesday

Episode 15

We rejoin Miri and Gina at Pharoahs.

(MIRI finishes reading his piece and steps down from the stage. He walks toward GINA who is sitting at the lone table, as balloons continue to fall from the ceiling.)

MIRI - Hello queen.

(GINA gets up, hugs and kisses MIRI before he can say another word.)

GINA - This is so nice, thank you so much. You didn't have to go through all this trouble, I mean the flowers, the poems, the balloons, and did you rent out this·
MIRI -Shhhhhh. I did this for you because I feel terrible about what happened between us on the yard. I totally disrespected you and your organization and I should not have done that.
GINA - Miri, you are a wonderful man. A lot of men cannot admit that they were wrong and say I am sorry.
MIRI - Well I aint a lot of men. I was wrong Gina, and I am sorry. I will never disrespect you again. I hope and pray that you can forgive me.

(Gina and Miri hug again.)

GINA - I just feel so special right now, I don't know what to say. This is all so beautiful. How did you write that poem about my sorority?
MIRI - Basically, I thought about you and it just flowed. You are my muse now, all I have to do is think of you and words come out in sequence.

(Gina smiles)

GINA - Really?
MIRI - Here, let me show you.

(MIRI steps back and looks at GINA, up and down.)

MIRI - Just from taking one glance at you, I thought of this.
Our eyes met a few short months ago, but we never dreamed of,
a glance, a second's stolen moment, would one day mean true love.
Our minds met some time afterward. Our agendas weren't the same.
So how were we to know one day we'd hope to share one name.
Our hearts met and we didn't know, what love two hearts had just begun.
But now it rings sweet to our ears when two hearts beat as one.
What we do know is our souls have met. God introduced us in the womb.
Since then our lives were forever destined, to one day meet as bride and groom.

(Tears roll down GINA's face.)

MIRI - Gosh baby, don't cry.
GINA - That was beautiful.
MIRI - You are my inspiration and my feeling. I only write now because you are my rhyme and my reason. I wake up to write to you, I go to bed to write to you. I just hope that your heart is open to hear what it is that I am saying.
GINA - Yes·yes it is.
MIRI - I love you Gina.
GINA - I love you too Miri.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin JUNE who is on the phone with OCTAVIA. She just clicked to the other line and it is DERRICK calling.

JUNE - Hey D, what's up?
DERRICK - Nothin' much, what you doing?
JUNE - Actually, I am on an important call. Can I call you back?
DERRICK - Sure, who are you talking to?
JUNE - Octavia, one of the AKA's.
DERRICK - What? That is what you consider an important call? More important than talking to me? That is some bullshit. I thought you had someone really important on the phone.
JUNE - This is really important to me, I can't believe you just said that and are feeling this way.
DERRICK - Well don't bother calling me back.
JUNE - I won't!

(click)

JUNE - Hello?
OCTAVIA - Word of advice, don't keep a soror on hold.
JUNE - I'm sorry, but speak of the devil. That was my so called man just now.
OCTAVIA - So called?
JUNE - See, this is my exact point. He got mad because I chose to talk to you over talking to him.
OCTAVIA - I see. Maybe this isn't for you right now. Maybe you should get things in order in your life and then pursue the sorority.

JUNE - No no, please. I want this sisterhood with all my heart. I can get another man.
OCTAVIA - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Well hopefully it won't come to that. Well look, handle your business ok?
JUNE - Thank you so much for your time.
OCTAVIA - If you need anything, call me.
JUNE - I certainly will. Good bye.

(Phone rings in Derrick's apartment.)

DERRICK - Hello.
JUNE - Hey.
DERRICK - I thought I said don't bother calling me. I aint playing second fiddle to your little sorority.
JUNE - Derrick, if you supposed to be my man, or better yet, my friend, then you should have my back in the things that I try to do with my life.
DERRICK - Those are your fake ass friends. A true friend will tell you when they think you are making a mistake. And then you gonna call me after you hang up with her? If I'm supposed to be your man, I should come first. Unless it is your mom or pops on the phone, you should be hanging up with other people to talk to me.
JUNE - I would have your back if you tried to do something like this.
DERRICK - I wouldn't try to do something like that.
JUNE - But whatever you tried to do, I got you one hundred percent.
DERRICK - That is bullshit. If I tried to do something that you thought would tear us apart or hurt me, you would be the first one to stand in my way and not allow me to do it.
JUNE - But how is becoming a member of this sorority going to hurt me or hurt us?
DERRICK - Because first of all, you are not becoming a member you are pledging. People die pledging every single year! People change after they pledge. I told you about my boy Ronnie! You think you aint got time for me now because of a simple phone call, wait until you are in the sorority. You wouldn't even know me then!
JUNE - That is not true Derrick, I love you.
DERRICK - No you don't, because if you did, you wouldn't be hurting me like this.
JUNE - That isn't fair!
DERRICK - Fuck fair! If you love me, don't pledge!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In our next scene, MONA has just knocked on PJ and APRIL's door where PJ and APRIL were talking.

MONA - What's the matter PJ?
PJ - Oh nothing, I'm ok. I·uh·just had some personal issues come up. But everything is fine. You can go home now.
MONA - But I thought you wanted us to talk to April together? I need to talk to you about Sylvia also. I think I screwed up, and now she hates me.
PJ - Well this is kinda a bad time.
MONA - PJ, why are you brushing me off?
PJ - I'm not Mona. Like I said, some extremely personal things came up that I have to tend to right away. Don't worry, I will call you and we will reschedule with April and maybe go and sit down with Sylvia.
MONA - (with an attitude) Well can I at least talk to April now, by myself since you have these personal problems?
PJ - No, you can't. She is busy.
MONA - Fine, well you call me whenever you don't have issues.

(MONA turns and walks away.)

PJ - (thinks) That little bitch.
APRIL - Who was that?
PJ - Uh·one of my study partners. I told her that I had to catch up with her later.
PJ (thinks) - Damn, and now I am defending her after she caught an attitude with me? Aint that some shit.
APRIL - I don't mean to get in the way of your study time. Lord knows I should be studying. But my mind is really elsewhere right now.
PJ - No, don't worry about it girl. If you need someone to talk to, you know I am here.
APRIL - Thank you, but you know, I feel like I want to take a shower.
PJ - That's cool. Do what you gotta do.

(APRIL gets up, quickly grabs her towel and her robe and heads for the bathroom. PJ stares at the bathroom door, then hears the water run. She lays on her own bed on her back.)

PJ (thinks) - Oh my God, what happened here. My roommate is a lesbian and I gotta live here. And I want her to pledge me.

(PJ glances at APRIL's bed, then looks away.)

PJ (thinks) - No wait, she isn't gay. Just like she said, it just happened. I guess. I think she is telling the truth. I hope she isn't scarred.

(PJ actually visualizes KATRICE and APRIL engaged in the act, the way that she witnessed it. She then looks down between her own legs and imagines KATRICE staring up at her.)

PJ - Oh God that is disgusting!
APRIL - What did you say?
PJ - Oh nothing.

(APRIL has been standing under the water since she stepped in the shower. She can't stop her body from shaking.)

APRIL (thinks) - Oh my goodness, that was amazing. Ooooh, my leg won't stop shaking·I hope PJ didn't notice.

(APRIL grabs the bar of soap but drops it because she can't get a firm grip on it. She tries to bend over but can't.)

APRIL - Why am I open like this? This is crazy? I can't even bend over and pick up this soap because my body won't stop shaking.

(APRIL turns off the water.)

APRIL - Fuck this shit, this shit is crazy.

(APRIL gets out of the shower and dries off, quickly. She goes out in her towel and leaves the robe in the bathroom. She starts to get dressed.)

PJ - Are you finished in the bathroom?
APRIL - Yeah, I'm done.

(PJ enters the bathroom and closes the door, moreso because she didn't want to see APRIL getting dressed.)

PJ - Oh shit, April left her robe in here. What's up with that?

(APRIL gets dressed.)

APRIL - PJ, I'm going out for a minute, just to walk around. I'll be back.
PJ - Ok.

(PJ hears the door close. She waits and listens a second, then re-enters the room. She lies on her bed and stares at the ceiling.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRINA has just dropped a bomb on BOBBY.

BOBBY - Excuse me?
TRINA - I'm pregnant.

(Tears begin to fall from TRINA's eyes.)

BOBBY (thinks) - Damn! Damn! Damn! Shit!'
BOBBY - Are you sure? Sometimes those home pregnancy things are not accurate.
TRINA - I went to the doctor.
BOBBY - And you are one hundred percent sure?
BOBBY - (thinks ) I can't believe this shit is happening!
TRINA - Bobby, I am pregnant and that is that. I wouldn't make this up.
BOBBY - I'm not saying that you would make it up, all I was asking was if you were sure, positively sure.
TRINA - Damnit Bobby, I'm sure ok·Two hundred percent sure!
BOBBY - Ok, ok, I understand that you are sure that you are pregnant. But are you sure that it is mine?
TRINA - What?!
BOBBY - Well, I gotta ask. I mean, I aint your man and you may have some stuff happening on the side with whoever.
TRINA (crying) - Bobby, what the fuck are you talking about? I can't believe you said that shit! You are the only man I have been with!
BOBBY - Well I didn't know that? And why the hell did you page me with some ol "I got a surprise for you?" What kind of bullshit is that? I'm thinking you cooked dinner or some shit.
TRINA - Well this is a surprise. I don't know, I thought it would get you here faster. It did.
BOBBY - Trina that is bullshit! You gonna page me just to get me over here on the premise that it is some good news and then drop this on me? What the fuck?
TRINA - Well what difference does it make now? You are here and this is the news.
BOBBY - No I am not here, I'm out. I can't believe you told me like this.
TRINA - Stop trying to change the bottom line here. The fact is, we are having a baby so we gotta deal with it.
BOBBY - No the fact is, you are having a baby so you gotta deal with it.

(TRINA's mouth opens in disbelief as she sees BOBBY turn and walk toward the door.)

TRINA - Bobby, come back! You are not gonna leave me like this!

(BOBBY opens the door.)

TRINA - Ok, so it's like that? Well fuck you!

(BOBBY slams the door behind him.)

BOBBY (thinks) - Damn, I shouldn't have done that. That was ill. But I need some air, let me walk around the block and then I'll come back.

TRINA (thinks)- I can't believe this. I can't believe this.

(TRINA opens the door and looks down the hall just to make sure BOBBY really left. There is no on in the hall. She goes back inside.)

TRINA (thinks)- I know Bobby better than this. He'll probably call me. I was kind of foul the way that I told him. Damnit, I probably fucked this all up.

(TRINA goes into her bedroom and stares in the mirror. She then goes to the bathroom to wash her face. As she splashes her face, she thinks that she hears a knock on the door. She turns off the faucet to hear better·it is a knock on the door.)

TRINA (thinks)- Good!

(TRINA opens the door.)

ALEXIS - Are you Trina?

BOBBY (thinks)- I really screwed up big time. I can't afford to have her pregnant right now. I got too many things going on. School, the chapter, brother of the year, it is just too many things happening.

(BOBBY gets to the corner and stops.)

BOBBY (thinks)- Damn, pregnant. How could I have been so stupid?

(BOBBY walks.)

BOBBY (thinks) - And to top it all off, I go off on her. Shit, I am an idiot. I gotta fix this shit.

(BOBBY walks and walks and walks until finally he reaches his destination. He then knocks on TRINA's door.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We last left the brothers at the frat house with the prospective gentlemen. JASON has just been told to explain to everyone in the house why he has marks on his neck and scratches on his back.

JASON - I was late because I didn't receive the pages from the guys. I was in Pearl Library, up in the stacks section. And sometimes in there, my pager does not have a strong signal.
JASON (thinks) - I hope they believe this.
JASON - So when I walked outside to take a study break, my pager starts blowing up with all these messages about this meeting. I ran right over. I even left my books and papers in the library.
NINO - And what about the marks on your neck and back?
JASON - That was there before. It didn't happen today.
DONTE - So how long did it take you to get here from the library?
JASON- I ran over, so maybe 5 minutes.
DONTE - Ok, cool. So if it only took you 5 minutes to get here from the library, then your books are still in Pearl?
JASON (thinks) - Oh shit.
JASON - I guess so.
DONTE - Are they there or not?
JASON - Yes.
DONTE - Reggie, you feel like making a quick run?
REGGIE - Sure what's up?
REGGIE (thinks) - Anything to get out of this house with this crazy nigga.
DONTE - Why don't you run over to Pearl and pick up Jason's books. We wouldn't want his shit to get stolen.
REGGIE (laughing) - Aight, cool.
DONTE - And who says Alphas don't care?
JASON (thinks) - Oh damn! I should tell the truth. I should tell the truth. I should tell the·
DONTE - Jason, where exactly were you sitting?
JASON - Uh·Pearl 20·on the left side.
REGGIE - I'll be right back.
DONTE - And we are going to all sit here and have a nice chat until Reggie gets back. If Reggie gets back with Jason's shit, then I'll let you guys go home. But if there are no books to be found·I fell sorry for yall!
NINO (thinks) - I hope that nigga is telling the truth.
TREY (thinks) - I hope that nigga is telling the truth.
Quinton (thinks) - I hope that nigga is telling the truth.
Larry (thinks) - I hope that nigga is telling the truth.
Donte (thinks) - I hope that nigga is lying.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KATRICE is sitting by herself in the yard of the Ivy Tower.

KATRICE (thinks) - I should not have pressed up so hard. She is going to resent this whole thing, and now I have no chance of making line.

(KATRICE looks around as if someone could hear her thoughts.)

KATRICE (thinks) - Damn, I shouldn't have done that. But damn, it was good. I wish I knew if she was with it. If she was down, all I need is more time.

(KATRICE slides to the end of the bench so she can lean on the arm rest. She props her face on her hand and closes her eyes.)

KATRICE (thinks) - I really want to be in the sorority though, and I may have just messed up my chances, for real. I wonder what PJ is thinking. Damn, I just screwed up with her too. If I could just find out what they are thinking, then I would be a lot better off. I would know what to do.
APRIL - Excuse me.

(KATRICE opens her eyes and sees APRIL standing there.)

APRIL - I think we need to talk.

No comments: