Tuesday

Episode 36

This week's episode begins with MAX who is waiting at Slowe for the interested ladies to arrive.

MAX thinks - I hope this works. People don't realize how much work it takes for someone to run an entire pledge process. People think pledging is all the work. I pledge every year we do this.

(MAX looks inside the empty room and thinks back to when she attended her rush.)

MAX thinks - It seems as if it were just yesterday I was going through these motions myself.

(MAX smiles to herself and turns back around to face the hallway. She notices a young lady walking her way. The young lady is dressed in business attire, a sharp gray suit. As she draws closer, MAX notices that it is JUNE.)

JUNE - Hello Max.
MAX - Hello June.
JUNE - Am I the first to arrive?
MAX - Actually June, the location has been changed. This room will be occupied by someone else shortly and I am just waiting here to make sure that everyone attending will know of the location change.
JUNE - Oh really?
MAX - You can go over to Pearl. You will be instructed as to what to do from there.
JUNE - Ok.

(JUNE walks away.)

MAX thinks - One down, two to go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We join MIRI and GINA. MIRI has come over to GINA's room. They are talking as GINA is preparing to go to rush.

GINA - Like I was saying baby, I didn't know you had those plans. I can't say I'm sorry enough.
MIRI - I just feel so insignificant in comparison with your sorority. I mean, in a matter of seconds, you confirmed something with them when you were in the process of confirming something with me.
GINA - Miri, please don't feel that way. I do not see you as insignificant. And I cannot place my relationship with you on the same playing field with my feelings toward my sorority.
MIRI - Yeah I know because AKA would win.
GINA - That isn't fair.
MIRI - What isn't fair is the fact that I have these tickets to see Hezekiah and I can't go.
GINA - Miri, I am sorry. I have said it one thousand times. What do you want me to do?
MIRI - You have said it one thousand times because to me it doesn't mean anything. I think if you were faced with the same situation again, you would do the same thing. Choose your sorority over me.
GINA - Why does it have to be a choose thing? I should not have to make a choice between my man and my organization. I would never ask you to make a choice between me and your poetry.

(silence)

(GINA looks at MIRI sadly. She understands what he is feeling. She turns around to adjust her skirt.)

MIRI - Gina, I don't want you to make a choice. I may not agree with the whole greek thing but I am going to respect my lady. I don't want to be an interference but it just hurt when you made plans so quickly with me on the other line.
GINA - I understand.
MIRI - I think I would have put the other caller on hold and came back to you and asked about the plans for tonight before I confirmed it.
GINA - You're right. That would have been considerate.
MIRI - Well anyway, I'm about to be out. I hope you have a good time.

(MIRI grabs his coat and heads for the door. GINA wants to say something but doesn't know what to say.)

GINA - Miri.

(MIRI turns around.)

GINA - I'm sorry.
MIRI - Yeah.

(MIRI opens the door and leaves.)

GINA thinks - Damn!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin MAX waiting at Slowe Hall.

MAX thinks - Ok, time to perform.

(The person who approaches is just who MAX thought it was. MONA.)

MONA - Hello.
MAX - Hi Mona, glad you could make it. Come in.

(MAX and MONA enter the room.)

MONA - There is nobody here yet?
MAX - Uh...no. You are a few minutes early and I am sure the other ladies will be here shortly. Just have a seat.
MONA - Ok.
MAX - Is there anything I can get for you while you are waiting?
MONA - No, I will be fine.
MAX - Great. I will be back.
MONA - Ok.
MAX thinks - Bitch.

(MAX goes back to the hallway and slowly closes the door behind her. She then sees two more approaching. It is PJ and KATRICE. MAX walks out to them to meet them halfway.)

PJ - Hi Max
KATRICE - Good evening Max.
MAX - Hello ladies. I was waiting here for you two. The location for this evening has been changed. I was making sure everyone knew where the new location is. Come on, I will walk over there with you.

(The three begin to walk to Pearl. MAX looks back at the room one last time before she leaves the building. The door to the room is still closed.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change to GINA who is now on campus walking to the rush location.

GINA thinks - He looked so sad when he left. And he is right, I would do the same thing over again.

(GINA looks at the clock tower and realizes she is running later than she thought. She speeds up her walk.)

GINA thinks - He couldn't possibly understand though, he didn't pledge. He never will pledge. He wouldn't understand what we go through and how dear we all hold this to our hearts.

(GINA sees a group of five women walking and laughing, going toward the H.A. Callis student union.)

GINA thinks - I miss my line sisters. Especially Lynette. That's my dog! I need to send her an e-mail. I wonder if they are going to boule?

(Gina gets to the location and doesn't see anyone out front.)

GINA thinks - Damn, I'm really late!

(GINA's quick walk becomes a skip and she hurries to the door.)

GINA thinks - Maybe I should open the door slowly, I don't want to cause a loud noise when I come in. I can just slip in and make my way to the front.

(GINA slowly opens the door and peeks in. There is only one person sitting there.)

GINA thinks - Where is...Oh shit! I forgot the place changed!
GINA - Excuse me, are you here waiting for the event to start?

(MONA turns around.)

MONA - Uh yes, I was a little early but I haven't seen anyone since I came in.
GINA - Oh, I don't know if you were informed but the place got switched to Pearl. I actually forgot and came over here. I am going to hurry over there now.
MONA - Oh wow, thanks a lot!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The AKA rush has begun.

APRIL - Next we will hear the requirements from our chapter basileus, Soror Sylvia Mohammed.
PJ thinks - Where the hell is Mona?
SYLVIA - In order to qualify to be a candidate for membership into the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated here at Ahpla University, the following criteria must be met. You must have at least a two point five grade point average and be in good standing with the university. You must also have at least thirty completed hours. You must fill out an application form and have it submitted no later than four days from today. Accompanied with the application is two letters of recommendation from active members of the sorority. One letter from a person not affiliated with the sorority and one letter from a teacher on campus.
MAX thinks - I hope Gina still makes it.
SYLVIA - If you have any further questions regarding the application process, please direct them to me afterward and I will be of assistance.
APRIL - Thank you Soror Sylvia.

(APRIL notices that GINA's part is next. So she skips down to ASHANTE's part.)

APRIL - We are going to move along to the history of Alpha Kappa Alpha here on Ahpla's campus. This will be read by our chapter advisor and Ahpla almunus, Soror Ashante.
ASHANTE - Good evening ladies and sorors. The history of Alpha Kappa Alpha here on the campus of Ahpla University is rich, as is the history of the school itself. The university was founded between the years nineteen oh six and ninteen oh eight and has always been a pillar of Black education. The chapter here at Ahpla was founded April seventh, nineteen sixty nine by nine dynamic women. These women are Soror Sarah Lee Ewington, Soror Tracey Allison Hart, Soror Brenda Jones-Dupree, Soror Stacie Renee Beale, Soror Donna Owens-Mustapher, Soror Agatha Winston, Soror Constance McKinney, Soror Mellissa Marie Townsend and Soror Melinda Hillary Ferguson.

(GINA walks in the room accompanied with MONA.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change and we find the Alphas who have gathered for a special meeting at BOBBY's house.

BOBBY - Wait a minute, hold up. Let me get this straight. You mean to tell me frat in North Carolina gets a letter like one of our boys wrote it and it was really some bitch?
NINO - Yep.
BOBBY - That is some ill shit!
REGGIE - Yeah and the primary reason I didn't want this cat as one of my sons was because of the letter. If it is truly confirmed that the didn't write it, that changes everything.
DONTE - Was that the only reason we didn't want him? He seemed kind of weak to me.
TREY - Everyone seems weak to you.
REGGIE - That was the only reason I didn't want him. What about yall?
REGGIE thinks - Yeah, that and the library shit!
NINO - I had no other reason.
NINO thinks - Except now with this library shit!
WIL - I had nothing.
Wil thinks - Except that library shit!

(REGGIE looks at WIL. WIL turns away.)

REGGIE - Does this require a revote?
BOBBY - No. This is not an official meeting. I think it is safe to say that each of us wanted Jason as a member of the chapter. The strong determining factor against him was the letter that he allegedly wrote. But upon learning this new information, I know personally I have chosen to reconsider. I want Jason on line and if we can all agree, we can make it happen.
DONTE - I have one question though, maybe you guys have not thought this through yet, but line has started. These boys have already begun to learn greetings.
REGGIE - So we will just accelerate Jason's process. I have full confidence in knowing he will adjust. And if he has problems adjusting I'm sure you can help him with that Donte. Or should I refer to you now as Ezah?
DONTE - True that, Ezah ready to bring the pain baby!
REGGIE - So why the hell is your name Ezah every year? Damn nigga, get more creative!

(Everyone laughs. The phone rings.)

BOBBY - Hello? Oh hey Trina, listen let me call you back. We got some bros over here and we are discussing something...Ok...cool....I'll call you back...I love you too.

(BOBBY hangs up.)

BOBBY - So who is going to notify Jason that he needs to hook up with the other two.
REGGIE - I think I should be the one to do it. I will be his dean.
TREY - I agree.
BOBBY - Aight cool, let's make it happen. Now where are the other two? I want to teach them my greeting!

No comments: