Tuesday

Episode 35

This week's episode opens with GREGG the Nupe who is at the 24-7 Diner downtown. He is waiting for PJ to show up.

GREGG thinks - Damn I forgot to leave a note for Nino to tell him to cover for me if Shareece calls.

(GREGG looks at the entrance door of the restaurant. He thinks he sees PJ walking in but it isn't her. It is someone else walking in with another female friend.)

GREGG - I thought that was Peej. She's kinda cute though. And her girl is cute too.

(PJ comes in and begins looking around.)

GREGG - Wow, Peej looks great.

(GREGG waves and PJ notices. She walks over. GREGG stands up.)

GREGG - Hey Peej. What's up yo?
PJ - Hi Gregg. Have you been waiting long?
PJ thinks - Gregg looks so good. And he still calls me Peej!
GREGG - Naw, about five minutes. No problem.
PJ - That's good.

(PJ and GREGG hug.)

PJ thinks - Ok he overdid it with the cologne though.
PJ smiling - Did you leave any cologne in the bottle?
GREGG - Yeah smarty, the bottle fell and broke on my jacket. I haven't had the time to take it to the dry cleaner yet.
PJ - Oh. Just jokes.

(The waitress comes over with a cup of hot tea with lemon and a sprite.)

GREGG - I went ahead and ordered the tea for you. Just like you used to get it.
PJ thinks - He remembered!
PJ - Oh thanks, that's cool. I see you remembered.
GREGG - How could I forget. You only ordered it eight million times!
PJ - Shut up! So anyway, how have you been? What's new?
PJ thinks - He looks so good. I think he lost weight.
GREGG - Just doing my thing. Getting ready to get up out this Ahpla camp. Graduation is around the corner. And running shit with the chapter. We got some boys about to come through.
PJ - Oh really?
GREGG - Yeah, you're gonna have some sands.
PJ - Stop talking that way before you jinx me.
GREGG laughing - Ok I'm sorry. So superstitious. But anyway, just doing my thing, ya know? What's up with you?
PJ - Studying hard and on the quest. Doing all I can to make it happen this year.
GREGG - Sounds good to me.

(PJ sips the tea and looks up at GREGG. She then looks back down.)

GREGG - What's the matter?
PJ - Oh nothing, I just feel sort of paranoid nowadays. The time is approaching and it has me nervous.
GREGG - Yeah but you were cold as a rock last year. You weren't nervous at all.
PJ - Last year I was a different person. I had different issues and obstacles. Now I have a new playing field.
GREGG - Oh yeah, what do you mean?

(PJ pauses.)

GREGG - Would you rather not talk about this?
PJ - Actually...
GREGG - Say no more, I will change the subject.
PJ thinks - Why the hell did you bring me here anyway?
PJ - No, I want to talk about it. Let's talk about it.
GREGG - Ok shoot.
PJ - Last year I had to deal with the fact that I fell in love with someone who was dating an AKA. A man that I cared deeply for, who told me that things were over between him and this AKA. But when the truth comes out, not only is he still seeing this person, but he plays me for her and hurts my chances of getting into the sorority. So you tell me. Wouldn't you be nervous approaching the same chapter to get in?

(GREGG hesitates.)

GREGG thinks - Let me get my story together.
GREGG - Peej, let me tell you. There are things that I share with you that I have shared with no one else. The things I want to do with my life, the things that depress me, and the things that make me happy. One of the things that makes me happy is the fact that I have a genuine friendship with you. Besides the fact that I care about you so much and probably always will, you are the only person that I have never lied to. I have lied to my dean, my line brothers, Shareece, even my mother but I have never lied to you.
PJ - I know. I remember you telling me that.
GREGG - And it is the truth. When I told you that I wasn't with Shareece, I was telling you the truth. We wound up working things out later on. And I am glad that I didn't hook up with you at that time anyway because you would never have had a chance at AKA. Even though I wanted to be with you, I put those feeling aside for you.
PJ - For me?
PJ thinks - You wanted to be with me after all?
GREGG -Yes, for you. You know Peej, I never told you this but...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change and we find QUENTON who has just arrived at REGGIE's house with his list of items.

QUENTON thinks - I am so nervous! My hands are sweating and my heart is beating like crazy. I don't know what the hell to expect.

(QUENTON knocks on REGGIE's door.)

QUENTON thinks - Be strong! This is it!

(The door opens.)

DONTE - Get the fuck in here!

(QUENTON freezes upon seeing DONTE.)

DONTE - Didn't you hear me? Get in here!
QUENTON - Uh... yes...I heard you...I'm sorry.
QUENTON thinks - Oh shit!

(QUENTIN enters the house and it is dark. He looks around but sees no one.)

DONTE - Put the stuff down over here. Then go stand over there.

(Knock knock. DONTE goes to open the door.)

DONTE - Get in here!

(LARRY comes in the house.)

DONTE - Put your stuff down over there and go stand next to him.

(QUENTON looks at LARRY and sighs relief.)

QUENTON thinks - I guess Larry made it. Damn, what happened to my boy Jason?
LARRY LAR whispers - What's up man?
QUENTON whispers - Hey. Wonder what happened to Jason?

(LARRY shrugs. TREY walks out from the other room.)

TREY - You gentlemen have expressed an interest in Alpha Phi Alpha. The time has come for you to begin your journey into our most sacred order. The brothers have chosen the two of you to learn, work, cry, sweat, bleed and earn the letters of Alpha. Are you ready?
QUENTON - Yes.
LARRY LAR - Yes.
DONTE - No the hell you aint!

(TREY looks at DONTE.)

TREY - Follow me on the path of the unknown.

(TREY begins to walk away. QUENTON and LARRY follow him into the next room.)

NINO singing - I got a feeling...

WIL singing - I got a feeling brothers...
DONTE singing - I got a motherfuckin' feelin...
REGGIE singing - Somebody's trying to sneak in my frat...and there aint gonna be no shit like that!

TREY - Brothers, these two candidates are here to begin the journey toward the land of Alpha. I think introductions are in order. From now on gentlemen, my name is Big Brother Frostbite, So Cold It Hurts! Do you understand candidates?
QUENTON and LARRY - Yes.
TREY - Yes who!
QUENTON and LARRY - Yes Big Brother Frostbite, So Cold It Hurts!
NINO - My name is Big Brother Bout It Bout It from the Bayou. Do you understand?
QUENTON and LARRY - Yes Big Brother Bout It Bout It from the Bayou!
Wil - I am Big Brother Osiris alias The Ape Tamer. Do you understand?
QUENTON and LARRY - Yes Big Brother Osiris alias The Ape Tamer!
DONTE - And my motherfuckin' name is Big Brother Ezah alias Back in Da Daze when it was Cool to Haze! You motherfuckers got it?
QUENTON and LARRY - Yes Big Brother Ezah alias Back in Da Daze when it was Cool to Haze!
REGGIE - Candidates! I will be your guide through this darkness. You will jump when I say jump. You will run when I say run. You will lean on me or I will destroy you. I will protect you because I love you. Whenever you speak to me or answer me, you will refer to me in your loudest voice as Dean Big Brother Hermakis!

(silence)

REGGIE - Do you understand?
QUENTON - Yes, Big Broth...I mean Dean Big Bro...
LARRY LAR - Yes Dean Big...Dean Big Bro...
REGGIE - Shut up! Brothers, let's show these men of the sphinx what happens when they piss off the dean!
DONTE - Hell yeah! It's on now! Come here Sphinxmen!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin GREGG and PJ at the 24-7 diner.

PJ - But what?
GREGG - But I did some behind the scenes things for you after you didn't make line last year. I guranteed this year you would be on.
PJ - What?
GREGG - Yeah. Isn't that cool?
PJ - Tell me you are joking.
GREGG thinks - Uh oh. I may have to fix that last statement.
GREGG - You're not happy about that?
PJ - No I'm not. Gregg thanks for your concern but I want to be voted into the chapter on my own merit. Not because someone else had to pull for me. Especially someone who isn't even an AKA.
GREGG thinks - I'd better fix this. I had a good thing going until I said that!
GREGG - I didn't make line for you. Everything that happens to you or that is going to happen to you, you earned. I just made sure you had a fair shot like everyone else. And the fact that we messed around had no bearing when it comes to Alpha Kappa Alpha.
PJ - Oh.
GREGG thinks - Damn, I almost put my foot in my mouth.
PJ thinks - Oh all we did was mess around?
GREGG smiling - So don't worry. At least if you don't make it this time it will because you screwed yourself.
PJ - Ha ha, very funny. So how exactly did you gurantee I would have a fair shot. You spoke to your...girlfriend about it?
GREGG - This all happened a long time ago. I just never told you. I just did what I had to do. Don't worry about it.
PJ thinks - Don't worry about it? Yeah right.

(silence)

GREGG - Hey Peej, remember the time when we were here and you ordered the shrimp?
PJ laughing - Yeah and when we left I kissed you and you got sick!
GREGG laughing - Yeah, I knew I was allergic, but damn! Your kisses are potent!
PJ - Ha ha ha ha ha, you're stupid. Remember that time we were here after that Kappa party? You were so tired you fell asleep in a bowl of soup.
GREGG - You would bring that up! Ha ha ha. Well how about the time the waitress spilled that drink in your lap?
PJ - Ha ha ha ha. I remember that time. I didn't mind her spilling it on me.
GREGG - Of course you didn't because you made me give you my pants and I drove home in my boxer shorts!

(PJ and GREGG laugh together.)

GREGG - Those were funny times.
PJ thinks - I miss you so much baby!
PJ - Yeah, they were.
GREGG - Hey Peej, let's say we get out of here and drive somewhere. I'd rather laugh about old times then sit around here and wait for bad service.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We now join APRIL who is at the Cheesecake Factory with DERRICK. The waiter is taking their order.

APRIL - Yes I will have the chicken picata. And I will just have a water.
DERRICK - I will have the three cheese pasta and a coke. Thanks.
APRIL - I really like this place and the funny thing is I don't like cheesecake.
DERRICK - The cheesecake is not as good as Juniors back home in NY but it is definitely an improvement from the school cafeteria. Did you remember your purse this time?
APRIL smiling - Yes, I have it.
DERRICK - Well put it away. This is on me of course.
APRIL - Of course. So tell me about yourself.
DERRICK - What do you want to know?
APRIL - What would you like for me to know?
DERRICK - Well, you know I play ball.
APRIL - Yeah. Any NBA aspirations?
DERRICK - Oh hell no. If I did, I wouldn't be playing for Ahpla.
APRIL - Understandable.
DERRICK - I basically keep to myself, or chill with my boys. The team travels a lot and we have early nights where we have to be in the dorm before midnight. Especially toward tournament season. Other than that, I study hard and enjoy life.
APRIL - Sounds good to me.

(The waiter brings their drinks.)

DERRICK - Thanks. So what about you? What makes you tick?
APRIL - Let's see. I pledged AKA last year and I am very involved with the chapter. I study but hate math.
DERRICK - Me too. But you should do what I do.
APRIL - What's that?
DERRICK - Get a tutor.

(APRIL almost chokes drinking her water.)

DERRICK - Are you ok?
APRIL - cough...cough...Yeah I'm cool. Just went down the wrong pipe.
DERRICK - Damn, I thought I had to give you mouth to mouth on our first date.
APRIL smiling - Is that your way of asking for a kiss?
DERRICK smiling - What if it was?
APRIL - Then you are cornier than I thought!

(They laugh together.)

APRIL - Ok so let me put you through my questions to make sure you are not a homicidal ax murderer.
DERRICK laughing - Ok.
APRIL - Are you a righty or a lefty?
DERRICK - Righty.
APRIL - Democratic or republican?
DERRICK - Democratic.
APRIL - Do you have an inny or an outy?

(DERRICK stands up and pulls his shirt up to show APRIL his belly button. APRIL is visibly embarrassed.)

APRIL whispers - What are you doing?
DERRICK - I am answering your question.
APRIL whispers - Sit down, people are looking!
DERRICK - Not until I answer your question. Look at your answer.

(APRIL looks and sees DERRICK's perfect six pack stomach with an inny belly button.)

APRIL thinks - Oh my God, his stomach is tight!
APRIL whispers - Ok can you sit down now?
DERRICK laughing - As you can see I am spontaneous too!
APRIL - And embarrasing! Nice stomach though.
DERRICK - I run a lot and work out like crazy.
APRIL thinks - I wonder how the rest of him looks!
APRIL - Well maybe you can show me your ab routine. I could use a workout.
DERRICK - I don't think so, you look great.
APRIL smiling - Thanks.

(The waiter brings the two plates of food.)

APRIL - They give you so much food here, there is no way one person can finish it all at one time.
DERRICK - You got that right! I will be eating on this for the rest of the week.

(The eat and exchange small talk.)

DERRICK - They could feed a small village with all this food.
APRIL - If I eat another bite I will explode.
WATIER - Would you two care for dessert or anything else?
APRIL - Oh no, I have no where else to put it.
DERRICK - You can just bring the check.
APRIL - Well this was very nice. Thank you.
DERRICK - No, thank you. If you hadn't forgotten your purse, we would have never had a first date.
APRIL smiling - I guess you're right.
DERRICK - But who said the night is over?
APRIL thinks - Damn, he works fast!
APRIL - What did you have in mind?
DERRICK - Do you like coffee or capuccino?
APRIL - No, but I love hot chocolate.
DERRICK - Good. Let's go over to the 24-7 diner and get a cup. They make good expresso and a mean cup of hot chocolate.
APRIL - Cool, let's go.

No comments: