Tuesday

Episode 20

This week, we begin with JASON, QUINTON and LARRY LAR as they are leaving the Alpha House, very happy to finally be out.

QUINTON - Yo Jason, I knew you would come through man. I knew you wouldn't leave us hanging.
JASON - True. I always got your back dude.
LARRY LAR - Yeah man, I was sweatin' bullets and you came in right on time. I am so glad you were telling the truth about being in the library.
JASON - No doubt. You know up in the stacks my pager was gettin' no signal at all. As soon as I came down to take a break, my pager starts blowing up and that is when I rushed out.
JASON thinks - Damn, I'm almost convincing myself!
QUINTON - I think what we should do is start to mix each other's schedules so we know where we all are from now on. That way, we don't have to be guessing and worry about getting caught up again.
LARRY LAR - Word, I agree.
JASON - Sounds good.
LARRY LAR - I didn't think pledging would be like this. I always heard that it would be hard, but damn. This is hard as hell.
QUINTON - Pledging Alpha here at Ahpla is no joke dude. I have heard all kinds of stories. But I have to be mentally ready, we all have to be.
JASON - What kinds of stories have you heard? Do you think they hit us with paddles?
LARRY LAR - What the fuck do you think we were doing while your late ass was in the stacks?
JASON - They hit yall with paddles?
QUINTON - Hell yes and that shit hurt like hell!
LARRY LAR - I aint never felt no shit like that before. I was so happy to see you J, I could have kissed your ugly ass.
JASON - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, man that is crazy! I am sorry for being late.
JASON thinks - I feel like shit.
JASON - But if they are hitting with paddles now, what the hell happens when the line really starts?
QUINTON - Well I heard it is a lot of mind games too. Like I heard this one thing where they pour salt and pepper on the table in a pile, then they put the salt and pepper shakers on the table next to the pile. They tell you to separate the salt and the pepper. Most people would sit there for hours actually separating each piece of salt from each piece of pepper when they actually want you to see the bigger picture and separate the salt and pepper shaker.
JASON - Oh shit, that is funny.
QUINTON - Not if you spend six hours separating grains of salt!
LARRY LARY - Word, that is crazy!
QUINTON - But I heard that mind games make the mind stronger, which is what you need to pledge. Especially pledging Alpha.
JASON - Damn.
QUINTON - That is why I am trying to do this so bad. I want to gain a deeper knowledge of myself and the Black experience, and I want to bond with you guys on a different level. And I think, actually I know that pledging will do that for me.
LARRY LAR - I hate to be the non deep nigga, but I was doing it for the bitches!

(All three guys laugh loudly.)

JASON - You stupid.
LARRY LAR - But the more I hang with you guys, the more I learn about all this. I am trying to do it now because Alpha is in my heart and I want to be a brother. I love the way that the brothers stick together and do their thing. Even today, the way that they all interact. And what Donte was saying at the end was deep. Just listening to him made all the pain in my ass go away.
QUINTON - I know what you mean.
JASON - Fellas, I just want to say that I am sorry for taking so long and making you guys go through all that.
QUINTON - No need to apologize J, you had no idea. You were in the library studying.You were doing what you had to do. You know the aims of the fraternity are manly deeds, scholarship and love for all mankind. So scholarship is important to all Alphas. Gotta have the grades or you can't be down anyway. So I understand.
LARRY LAR - Yeah my nigga, it's not like you were chilling out somewhere and just left us hanging. Although I was kinda looking at your ass funny when I saw your neck nigga. Damn, did you fuck a vampire or something? Your neck is fucked up.
JASON - Naw man, I was wondering when those marks were gonna go away. It has been a few days.
JASON thinks - I am so fucked up, I feel like absolute shit.
QUINTON - Yo let's stop by the student union. I want to get a Sprite.
LARRY LAR - Cool. I wish they sold Hennesy right about now.

(The three laugh again.)

(QUINTON, LARRY LAR and JASON enter the H.A. Callis student union and walk toward the book store to buy sodas.)

QUINTON - So what are you guys doing tonight?
LARRY LAR - I aint doing shit. I may try to find some bitch to massage my big swollen ass!
JASON - You are an idiot.

(JASON turns around first and then QUINTON and LARRY LAR turn around as well when they hear JASON's name called.)

THERESA - Jason! Jason! Hi baby, you forgot your pager when you rushed out an hour ago. I hope you didn't need it. I closed the door behind me and let myself out of your place after you ran out, was that ok? I left the pager on your dresser.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a beautiful evening together, GINA and MIRI have fallen asleep. We rejoin GINA as she wakes up.

(GINA opens her eyes and looks next to her to find she is in an empty bed. She looks up and reads the poem on the ceiling again.)

GINA thinks - If you are reading these words above, then with you I must be in love.

(GINA smiles. She then smells food cooking. GINA gets out of bed and opens MIRI's closet. There are a few dress shirts and multi-colored African shirts. She puts on one of the African shirts. GINA walks downstairs.)

GINA - Miri, what are you doing?
MIRI - Hey you woke up. I wanted to surprise you and bring this to you in bed. I just thought I would cook you a little something.
GINA - Wow, you cook too?
MIRI - A little something. I can't burn like my momma, but I gotta eat, so I do ok.
GINA - That is so sweet, you are wonderful.

(GINA and MIRI hug and she gives him a kiss)

GINA - So what are you making me?
MIRI - I hope you like eggs. I made an omelette. I am about to put on some grits too, is that cool?
GINA - That sounds fine.
MIRI - You know I don't fuck with no pork.
GINA - That is ok, I think I can do without today.
MIRI - Cool, well why don't you go lie down and I will bring it in to you.
GINA - Ok.

(GINA kisses MIRI one more time and walks back into the bedroom.)

GINA thinks - I have hit the jackpot with Miri!

(GINA passes MIRI's desk and sees an open manuscript.)

GINA thinks - I love Miri's poetry. I wonder what this is.

(GINA sits down to read the manuscript. It is the same one that MIRI shared with GINA on the yard about pledging.)

GINA reads - Scene Nineteen. Setting: The fraternity house after the frat party. Players disperse. Scene opens with Bobby the fraternity member and Genia the sorority member.

Genia: I feel like I may be sick, I think I drank too much.
Bobby: You know how our frat parties are. Lots of beer. Come lay down with me.
Genia: Can you take me home?
Bobby: I think you should stay here with me. You know what happens after these parties. So come and get in the bed with me.
Genia: But I don't want you to think bad about me. I don't know you that well.
Bobby: You know me well enough. You know I am in the frat and you are in the sorority. So we get busy, and that is all there is to it. You know how these things are. Don't ask questions.
Genia: I guess you are right. But you are not gonna tell anybody are you?
Bobby: Don't worry about who I tell. Just lay down and relax and take your damn clothes off.
Genia: Ok, but you won't think bad about me?
Bobby: What difference does it make?
Genia: I guess you're right. That is just how we sorority sisters do.

(MIRI enters the room carrying a tray and a plate of food.)

GINA - Miri, what is this?
MIRI - Oh that is my manuscript, I guess I left it open. I was working on it for a little while.
GINA - I thought you and I decided that you would not be producing this.
MIRI - I never said that. When did you hear me say that?
GINA - You went through this big apology to me after the yard incident.
MIRI - I apologized about the yard and the way that I spoke to you, not about the content of my work.
GINA - But your characters are named Bobby and Genia. That sounds alot like me and my frat brother Bobby?
MIRI - It's not you though.
GINA - Bull! Genia? And you make it sound like sorority members are typical whores! That isn't true.

(MIRI places the tray of food down.)

MIRI - Listen, I know there are exceptions. But my ideas are general ideas. The majority of people act a certain way and you can't deny that.
GINA - Hell yeah I can! What the hell are you talking about? I thought you said you did research on Alpha Kappa Alpha when you read me that poem in Pharoahs?
MIRI - I did. I checked how you like mirrors and pink and green. How you like ivies and stuff like that.
GINA - Well that is real surface. There is so much more to the organization. I thought you had actually taken the time to get to know what we were about and then changed this stupid play. But all you did was find out what types of things any AKA would like to hear in a poem to win me back over and then get me over here to sleep with me!
MIRI - That isn't true and don't call my work stupid!
GINA - It is stupid! How can you think that just because someone is in a greek letter organization that they lose all capacity for rational thought? Do you think I would actually be in a situation like that character in your play?
MIRI - You wouldn't but how many sorority sisters would?
GINA - None of my sorors that respect themselves! And I think I can speak for Deltas, Zetas and SGRhos as well! You just wrote some pretty words and got to sleep with me! How could you! You manipulated me with words because you are a poet. And all the balloons and stuff was just to get me over here and get me into bed!
MIRI - Gina honey that isn't true. I care about you.
GINA - No you don't, how could you think that about me or my organization? How could a writer not even know how to research an organization that is the main topic of his project unless he had a preconceived notion of the organization to begin with? You got me over here on the premise that you were not going to produce this, and now I see that you are going on with it full steam ahead! I can't believe you could do this and then have a character with the name almost like mine! I am out of here!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scene changes and we enter Pratt - Russell Hall and enter the room of KATRICE where she and APRIL have just kissed.

(APRIL pulls back from KATRICE)

APRIL - I can't do this.
KATRICE - Are you uncomfortable?
APRIL - I just can't do this. This isn't me and I feel awkward.
KATRICE - But don't I make you feel good?
KATRICE thinks - Damn, I am losing her.
APRIL - I am just not sure about this whole thing.
KATRICE - Just relax.
APRIL - No I don't want to relax. That is how you got me the first time.
KATRICE - April, I wasn't trying to get you. I will admit that I do like you, but I thought you were going along with the vibe. I didn't intend on deceiving you and tricking you into uncomfortable situations.
KATRICE thinks - Talk fast!
APRIL - I know and I don't think it is your fault. But I think I am leading you on. I like men, I always have.
KATRICE - There is nothing wrong with that. I used to like men too. Sometimes I even miss being with a man. But at the same time I know that women make me feel good and isn't it all about doing what makes you feel good?
APRIL - What about doing what is right?
KATRICE - Is there really a right or wrong when it comes to making love? Who makes the rules? What is right as opposed to what feels right?
APRIL - I don't know, I am just confused and I think it would be better if I just left.
KATRICE thinks - Shit!
KATRICE - Like I said, I am not here to make you uncomfortable. If that is the way that you feel, then by all means, you should be leaving. Maybe what you need is time alone. I don't want to confuse you at all.
APRIL - Thanks. I'm sorry.
KATRICE - Don't be. It is a very hard thing to become accustomed to. It took me a long time, but I made the decision to live my life this way. Everyone that has an experience doesn't make the full transition to this side of the fence. Maybe that is where you stand. But only you can decide that, and I don't want to confuse you.
APRIL - I appreciate that. If I were to go straight off of physical feeling, it would be a much harder thing to deal with. When I am honest with myself, physically I felt wonderful. But something inside of me is saying no and I have to listen to that voice, at least for right now.
KATRICE - That is understandable. Well, can I ask you a question?
APRIL - Sure.
KATRICE - Off the subject, as far as Alpha Kappa Alpha, does this damage my interest with your organization? And what about PJ?
APRIL - Your secret is safe with me. As far as PJ, you may need to talk to her. I had a talk with her already but that was just for my own piece of mind. I think you should give her a call.
KATRICE - Ok, and I will approach you as if none of this had ever happened when it comes to the sorority.
APRIL - Oh absolutely. If you make line, you are gonna pledge hard as hell like everybody else.
KATRICE - Gee, thanks.
APRIL - Yeah, well you asked.
KATRICE thinks - Damn she is so pretty.
KATRICE - I will call you later and set up a regular meeting with you on sorority business. Is that ok?
APRIL - That is fine.
KATRICE - Alright, well I will talk to you later.
APRIL - Ok.

(APRIL turns to leave.)

KATRICE - I don't get a goodbye kiss? Do what you feel.

(APRIL turns back around, hesitates, and gives KATRICE a peck on the cheek.)

KATRICE - Thanks.

(APRIL leaves.)

APRIL thinks - This shit is so crazy and still unresolved. What the hell am I gonna do?

(APRIL enters the lobby and goes to the soda machine.)

APRIL thinks - Why do I feel like this girl has a power over me? Why did I let her kiss me again? Am I turning...
PJ - April? What are you doing in Pratt-Russell?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change and we pick up with BOBBY and TRINA in TRINA's apartment.

(TRINA comes out of the bathroom with a towel drying her face off.)

BOBBY - Are you ok baby?
TRINA - Yeah, I am starting to feel a little better. I was feeling nauseus at first. But I'm ok.
BOBBY - That's good that you are feeling better. A lot of women feel sick when they are first pregnant.
TRINA - Yeah, I know.
BOBBY - I don't think it has really hit me yet. Me, a father. It just sounds so weird.
TRINA - I know, it will be a different thing for me too. I never thought of having a baby while still in undergrad. But now that this has happened, I just want to be the best mother I can be and the best girlfriend to you.
BOBBY thinks - Yeah, ok.
BOBBY - That is understandable.
TRINA - Bobby, you know I care a lot for you.
BOBBY - I care a lot about you too.
TRINA - Bobby, I want you right now.
BOBBY - Huh?
TRINA - Come on, I want you now.
BOBBY - Trina baby, we just had a crazy fight a few minutes ago and emotions are just crazy right now.
TRINA - But imagine how good it could be, there is no more need for a condom now.
BOBBY - Says who?
TRINA - Well I'm already pregnant.
TRINA thinks - And I need to really get pregnant.
BOBBY - I just need to sit back and think about a few things.
TRINA - You don't want me do you?

(TRINA begins to look sad like she is going to cry.)

BOBBY thinks - Oh God.
BOBBY - Don't cry baby. You know I love you, but I have had a real hectic day and it aint over. As a matter of fact, good grief look at the time. I was supposed to be at the Alpha House an hour ago. I am meeting our regional director.
TRINA - Oh, well you better go then. I don't want you to mess that up.
BOBBY thinks - That shit always works.
BOBBY - But I will call you later, ok?
TRINA - Yes, please do.

(BOBBY and TRINA kiss. BOBBY turns and leaves. BOBBY walks slowly out the apartment complex and to his car because he has the funny feeling that TRINA is still watching him.)

BOBBY thinks - Damn! I gotta hurry up and get over to Alex's house!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We catch the phone conversation in progress between SYLVIA and MONA as they discuss PJ in the chat room.

SYLVIA - What did you say?
MONA - Maybe I should not have said anything.
SYLVIA - No, I asked you what you said. Tell me what you said just now!
MONA - I walked in on PJ. She had paraphanelia on and she was logged into that website. The one between your sorority and the Alphas.
SYLVIA - Skeephi?
MONA - Yes. I saw that she was in a chat room and she was using the name Akalade. I just didn't think it was right but I wasn't sure. So I thought I would ask.
SYLVIA - And you are sure you saw this?
MONA - Yes. Did I say something wrong?
SYLVIA - No, no you didn't. Listen Mona, you need to catch me later, I am busy now.
MONA - We can't get a chance to talk?
SYLVIA - Good bye Mona.

(SYLVIA hangs up on MONA and stares at the wall for a moment. She calls APRIL and PJ's room.)

Answering machine - No one is in to take your call, please leave your...

(SYLVIA hangs up and calls MAX.)

MAX - Hello?
SYLVIA - Max, I just found out some shit that you are not going to believe! Ooooh I am mad as shit!
MAX - What's wrong?
SYLVIA - Do you know that PJ is a perp in the chat room!
MAX - What? On skeephi?
SYLVIA - Yes!
MAX - Are you sure? I can't believe that.
SYLVIA - And she had the nerve to have on paraphanelia!
MAX - What? April's parahanelia?
SYLVIA - I don't know but she had AKA stuff on.
MAX - Sylvia, calm down. How did you find all this out?
SYLVIA - Mona told me.
MAX - Mona? Mona Fergusson?
SYLVIA - Yeah.
MAX - Wait a minute, Sylvia, is Mona a reliable source?
SYLVIA - I believe her because she phrased it like a question. She seemed really confused about walking in on PJ like that and she was asking my advice.
MAX - Ok, hold on. Do you mean to tell me that Mona told you that she walked in on PJ and PJ had on para and was in the chat room?
SYLVIA - Yes!
MAX - Sylvia, how in the world would Mona walk in on PJ and PJ have on para and PJ lives with April? So you honestly think that PJ would be that dumb as to wear para in a room where her roommate is a Soror?
SYLVIA - You know what? Maybe you are right.
MAX - So the question is, why the hell did Mona call you and tell you that?
SYLVIA - I don't know, but I am about to find out. I gotta go.
MAX - Wait, what are you gonna do?
SYLVIA - I'll call you back.
MAX - Sylvia, wait, what are you...

(SYLVIA hangs up and makes one more phone call.)

MELINDA FERGUSSON- Hello?
SYLVIA - Hello, can I speak to Soror Fergusson please?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALEXIS is standing in the door of RONNIE's apartment in tears.

RONNIE - Alexis, what's the matter? What happened? Come in.

(ALEXIS walks in.)

ALEXIS - You were right Ronnie, he was cheating on me this whole time.
RONNIE - Hold on girl, big D, let me call you back. Ok, go ahead.
ALEXIS - I did what you said and I caught that lying bastard over there! I hate him!
RONNIE thinks - Yes!
RONNIE - Are you alright?
ALEXIS - I hate him and her! That's why I slapped the shit out of her!
RONNIE - What? You hit her?
RONNIE thinks - Oh this shit is classic!
ALEXIS - Fuck her!
RONNIE - Alexis, you need to calm down baby. I have never seen you so upset. I have never heard you even curse before.
ALEXIS - I am just too upset, I can't even think straight. I can't believe he could do this to me. Why do men cheat? Why can't a man just be a man and be with one woman? What the hell is the matter with yall?
RONNIE - Well it isn't all of us believe it or not. Not all men are dogs, just the lucky ones are Que dogs! Rowf!

(ALEXIS doesn't laugh.)

RONNIE -Sorry. As I was saying, not all men are dogs. Some are just young and don't know what they want. So when they deal with a mature woman like yourself, they don't know how to act or handle it.
ALEXIS - But if you give a person your all and give to them one hundred percent of you, what reason would they possibly have to go anywhere else?

(Tears are flowing down ALEXIS's cheecks.)

RONNIE - It isn't that simple sweetie. I wish it were. But guys and girls mature differently. I'm sure Bobby cares for you, but he doesn't know how to respect you and treat you. You didn't deserve what he was doing, that is why I looked out for you. You're a good girl and you deserve much better.
ALEXIS - What am I gonna do Ronnie?
RONNIE - First you're gonna sit down over here and just rest a while.

(RONNIE and ALEXIS sit on the couch together.)

RONNIE - Can I get you want something to drink?
ALEXIS - Yeah, whatever you have is cool.
RONNIE - I'll be right back.

(RONNIE goes into the kitchen.)

RONNIE thinks - Yes! Yes! Yes!

(RONNIE pulls out two glasses and opens the fridge. He grabs a jug of juice. Then he stops and thinks about it.)

RONNIE - Do you want juice or do you want a brew?
ALEXIS - Give me a beer, I don't drink but I could use it.
RONNIE thinks - Yes!

(RONNIE puts the glasses down and grabs two Heinekens. As he enters the room, he notices that ALEXIS is crying harder and she is on the phone.)

RONNIE - Are you ok?

(ALEXIS hangs up.)

ALEXIS - Thanks for everything Ronnie but I need to go.
RONNIE - Where are you going?
ALEXIS - I need to go home, I got a message from Bobby.

No comments: