Tuesday

Episode 22

JUNE and DERRICK are in the middle of an intense telephone conversation.

JUNE thinks - I want to be an AKA so bad, nothing should get in the way of that. Everytime I think about Alpha Kappa Alpha, I get nervous and proud. Proud that I am a Black woman and can one day share in the bond that they have...
JUNE thinks - I think about the woman that were once on Howard's campus and decided to build the legacy that now embraces so many powerful minds, hearts, souls and bodies. I can recite the poetry that is Alpha Kappa Alpha, I can sing the songs that are Alpha Kappa Alpha...
JUNE thinks - One day I am going to go to Howard and stand in the spot where these powerful sisters stood and overlook a sea of sisters that I can call Sorors. The same way the founders embraced one another in 1908.
JUNE thinks - I want to make history the same way that the founders did. I will be of the first pledge line of the new millennium. That is phat. Spring 2000 has a nice ring to it. And I know my line sisters PJ, Katrice and Mona will agree. Wow that sounds so phat.
JUNE thinks - I can't wait until that day I get my first hug from a Soror. I wonder if it will be from Octavia. I wonder if she will be my spec. I like her a lot and we seem to talk very well. She understand me and what my heart is saying about Derrick.
JUNE thinks - I love Derrick so much that I don't know if I will understand the void he is causing inside me. He has been my best friend since I have been at Ahpla. I remember freshman year when I first saw him and he would sit on the bench and never get in the games. I thought he was so cute.
JUNE thinks - Of course when he spoke to me first, I thought he was trying to play me. But he seemed so innocent and young. I knew he seemed older, because he is so damn tall. But he is just a little boy sometimes. I remember thinking that when we first went out and he took me to the movies. He thought it would be cute if we saw Soul Food.
JUNE thinks - He thought I would be the sentimental one and he was the one who teared up a little. Of course he tried to hide it, but I know. I knew when I put my head on his shoulder. I could feel the warmth between us. I knew that this was a special brother, not like dudes that I had been out with before.
JUNE thinks - I remember how sweet my baby was on my birthday, when he bought me roses. One white rose for the one year that he knew me and eighteen red roses for the years that he hasn't. That was so sweet. Funny coincidence how he picked the two wrong colors, ooops.
JUNE thinks - I love pink and green. They look so good together. That jacket that April has is phat! I want to get one too, but only when I am worthy to wear it. I think I will have paraphanelia on every day! I will want everyone in the world to know that I am a proud AKA.
JUNE thinks - I consider it such an honor to carry the sorority with me wherever I go. I can't wait until I can go with the sorors to the community center down from campus. There are so many people that I can help that I want to reach out and touch through the sorority. Lives that I may be able to influence or change. I can't even begin to imagine how many lives have touched me who have been members of Alpha Kappa Alpha.
JUNE thinks - Ms. Nelson my principal from St. Patrick's, my guidance counselor Mrs. Dunhum, all the ladies here at Ahpla, especially Octavia and Sylvia. Ahpla has a really tight chapter, I love this school.
JUNE thinks - Damn, I remember when I first got here like it was just yesterday. Things just happened so quickly, I never imagined I would be in a relationship. I was so focused on being a studyaholic. But Derrick really did sweep me off my feet. Funny for a girl who is unsweepable.
JUNE thinks - I can't believe he would let me go this easily. It seems to not bother him at all. I wonder if he really loves me. How could he let it end just like that? I know he is concerned, I am too. But this should be a time when we come together and become closer. He should know that I would never leave him and I would stick by him no matter what he was going through. Especially if it is something that he wanted deep down in his heart. Because this is something that I want deep in mine.
JUNE thinks - I want every aspect of AKA too. Maybe I am crazy, but I don't want it if I aint gotta pledge for it. I want the full experience of being an ivy and working hard in order to appreciate my pearls. I want to get in the chapter and do work. I want to remain active after graduation, and I want to be an active soror for the rest of my days.
JUNE thinks - I want my daughter and granddaughter and great granddaughter to be pinned by me. Speaking of which, I wonder who should pin me. It would be cool if I could get in touch with Ms. Nelson. She is very active back home. That is just how I am going to be. She will be so proud when she finds out that I have crossed.
JUNE thinks - Everyone will be proud and happy for me...except the man that means the most to me. The man that I love and that says that he loves me. The man, the only man, who has touched me in those places. But respected me the whole time. The man who has walked with me throughout my ups and downs being away from home for the first time. How am I gonna do this college life thing without him?
JUNE thinks - Maybe he is just saying that though, and when it is all over, he will be there waiting for me. Maybe once he sees that there is really no danger involved, he will be cool with it. Maybe once I go over and he sees that I really am not going to change, he will be ok with me being in the sorority.
JUNE thinks - I really can't see myself changing. Just changing my wardrobe to add just a tad bit more pink and green. Salmon and candy apple that is. Other than that, I will be the same June. He should know that I will be the same. I have crazy love for Alpha Kappa Alpha now and I will have crazier love for Alpha Kappa Alpha then. But that won't change who I am and what I am about.
JUNE thinks - The bottom line is this, life is full of risks. Good ones and bad ones. But you never know what hand life will deal you if you aint got the guts to get in the game. I am getting in the game for AKA. I am putting my heart on the line and trusting the ladies here at Ahpla to take care of me. I believe in them and I believe in this. This is June's decision for June. Not for Derrick or anyone else. I love him, yes I do. But if he loved me he would understand. And my tears will be replaced with tears of joy when I sing the circle songs with my sorors!
JUNE thinks - So if that is the way he wants it, fine. We will have to separate and go our separate ways for the time being. And if he can't see past his own insecurities and see that this is something that I want in my heart, then he will be the one losing out. Not me. So baby I love you...but you win. I am going forward with my dream of pledging Alpha Kappa Alpha!
DERRICK - What did you just say?

No comments: