Tuesday

Episode 1

Our story begins on the campus of Ahpla University, a well known and accredited Historical Black College. It is mid-August and the campus is beginning to buzz with new faces of incoming freshman and old faces returning of upper classmen. Registration is ready to begin for many students and it is a busy time for all on campus. Many students use this early time to get into gear, as our story begins in the Tandy Hall dormitory.

GREGG and NINO's dorm room.

GREGG - Yo Nino, where you goin'?
NINO - Step practice.
GREGG - Why yall steppin' so early in the year? It's only August 20?
NINO - Maybe that's why we keep beatin' yall's sorry asses!
GREGG - (laughs) Yeah whatever nigga. I'll holla at you later.
NINO - Peace out. Oh if Candace calls me, tell her to just page me because I'll probably be out with the Bros tonight.
GREGG - And she is supposed to believe that?
NINO - (laughs) Yeah cuz she knows that I aint like you!
GREGG jokingly throws a miniature football at NINO but it hits the door as NINO slams it behind him.

-------------------------------------

Miri at the microphone in Pharoahs, a local hot spot.

MIRI - So who are you? ...What's really in a name? ...Do you grow and adjust to your parent's role, that they labeled you before one day old? ...And what if that name doesn't fit when you're grown? ...Do you adjust and call it your own? ...Should you adjust? ...Should you feel shame? ...No. Your parents collaborated and gave you your name. But is this who you are?
(takes a pull on a lit cigarette)
So then, who are you? ...Are you defined by a name? Your last name was passed from your father with pride. ...Or maybe yours comes from your maternal side. Your father's father got it with honor and grace. But to his grandfather's father, it's a slap in the face. Because for him it's not printed on a certificate. It was printed on his back by the sting of a whip. Should you adjust? Let it go as you grow? Yes? No? Maybe so? Or do you not know? If you don't, do you know who you are?
Thank You
(audience applauds his piece)
GINA - Excuse me. That was beautiful. What was your name again?
MIRI - Oh thank you very much. My name is Miri Bakhan. And who might you be, do you know who you are? (smiling)
GINA - Oh see, how you gonna try to play me? (smiling back)
MIRI - Naw sister, I'm just playin'. It's just that you are definitely a new face. I see the same people in and out of here. Especially right before school starts.
GINA - My name is Gina, I transferred here from Mission College.
MIRI - Word? My cousin went to Mission College, Dap Dunlap. Did you know him? Actually, I guess it was a few years ago.
GINA - I have heard his name though. He was kind of revolutionary right?
MIRI - Yeah, just like me.
GINA - Will the revolution be televised?
MIRI laughs.
(Miri, you have a phone call bra)
MIRI - Excuse me sister.
GINA - No problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
(Telephone rings in SYLVIA's apartment)

SYLVIA - Good evening.
ASHANTE - Hey Soror.
SYLVIA - Hey girl what's goin' on?
ASHANTE - Nothin much. I called to see what's going on with you. I need to sit down with you and Max so we can get a schedule of what the chapter is doing for the semester.
SYLVIA - Oh cool! I got mad ideas of some stuff that I want us to do. And I also think that we should get a head start and throw the first party this year. And of course I'm trying to win my last step show before graduation. Homecoming is going to be off the hook!
ASHANTE - You just make sure that your graduation is off the hook.
SYLVIA (laughs) - Girl you crazy! Let me see if I can get Max on the three-way. Hold on.

(Telephone rings in MAX's apartment)

MAX - Hold on Daddy...Hello?
SYLVIA -What's up Soror! What's the deal? I got Ashante on the phone too.
ASHANTE - Hey what's up?
MAX - Hey! I'm on the other line with my dad.
SYLVIA - Word? Is he trippin'?
MAX - You know he is. He always is.
ASHANTE - Trippin' off what? What yall talkin' about?
MAX - Long story. But the Cliff Note version is he wants me to come home for Thanksgiving so we can discuss my after-graduation plans. I was like, Daddy it's August. Thanksgiving is in November. Let's get past trick-or-treat first. But of course, he has no sense of humor.

SYLVIA and ASHANTE laugh.

MAX - Well anyway, let me get back to him. I'll talk to yall later.
SYLVIA - Cool.
MAX- Hello Daddy?
MR. SHENSON - Yeah baby I'm here.
MAX- Sorry about that. That was Sylvia.
MR. SHENSON - Oh really, how is she doing?
MAX- She's fine.
MR. SHENSON - Maybe you should invite her for Thanksgiving as well.

MAX- Daddy!

No comments: