Tuesday

Episode 29

We begin this week's episode with the January meeting of the Ahpla Undergraduate Student Assembly. Willemina is presiding.

WILLIE - I wish to thank you all for coming and welcome you to the first meeting of the millennium. We have a few things to discuss. Theresa, could you please pass out the agendas?
THERESA - sure.

(THERESA begins to pass the agendas out.)

SYLVIA - Hi Theresa.
THERESA - Hey Sylvia, happy new year.

(As THERESA is passing the agendas around the room, she notices JASON sitting in the back. She walks over to him.)

THERESA whispering - What are you doing here!
JASON whispering - I need to talk to you and you have not answered nor returned any of my calls.

THERESA whispering - That is because I have nothing to say to you!

JASON whispering - But if you just let me explain...

THERESA whispering - You can't sit in this meeting!

JASON whispering - I am volunteering with the student assembly for the spring semester.

THERESA - Won't you be tied up this semester!

WILLIE - Did you say something Theresa?

THERESA - Uh...no. I was just finishing passing these agendas out.

(THERESA turns and gives JASON a stern look and returns to her seat.)

WILLIE - Ok. As you see, the first thing on our agenda is the annual heart to heart valentine event. I want to make this the best one yet. So I think we should change a few things. There is a local singing group, four guys that have agreed to contract with us. What they will do is go door to door and sing a special valentine song to each person that purchases a heart to heart package. The person will also get the normal gifts associated with the heart to heart also.
SYLVIA thinks - What?

WILLIE - I think that this will add a very nice flavor to valentines day and give the assembly great props.

SYLVIA thinks - You mean give yourself great props!

(SYLVIA raises her hand along with another student. WILLIE looks at SYLVIA and then calls the other student.)

STUDENT - Will this only be available on valentineís day?
WILLIE - Actually it will be three days. Valentine's, the day before and the day after.

SYLVIA - You mentioned that they are going into contract with us. Just how much will this cost?

WILLIE - The second sheet is the proposed budget for the project. If you could all turn to page two, we can go over that.

(Everyone turns to page two.)

SYLVIA - This is way out of our budget.
WILLIE - It is a little pricey, but worth it. We will make the money back from the many students that purchase the package.

SYLVIA - But what if not enough students purchase it? We still have to pay the singing group for services rendered if they only show up.

WILLIE - We never have an issue of students not purchasing the package. Heart to heart is a widely accepted event on this campus. You know that.

SYLVIA - Yeah but at the same time, you have increased the price of the package because of the group. That may cancel out some students who now won't be able to afford it and it may throw us in the hole.

(THERESA looks at WILLIE and SYLVIA. She then looks at JASON who is smiling at her. She turns away.)

WILLIE thinks - This girl gets on my last nerves!
SYLVIA - I don't think the assembly can afford to lose any money going into a new school semseter.

(Students begin to talk amongst themselves. Some in agreement, some not.)

WILLIE - Alright, quiet down please. Look, I think this is a good idea, I think that students will welcome a change, and I think that most students will go for it.
SYLVIA thinks - And you think that you will go down in history as the greatest assembly president ever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changing scenes, we find OCTAVIA and APRIL who are on campus.

OCTAVIA - I'm excited. We're about to have new girls in the chapter. Imagine little sisters.
APRIL - Yeah, that is real cool.

OCTAVIA - And they will be so on point. I can't wait until they come out on the yard.

APRIL - They won't be as on point as we were.

OCTAVIA - Ha ha ha ha, oh no doubt. But we will still have them pretty tight.

APRIL - So where are we gonna hang this flier?

OCTAVIA - Somewhere so it won't get a whole lot of attention. We don't want five thousand people to show up.

APRIL - True that, we actually only want three to show up.

OCTAVIA - Yeah we definitely don't want four. That Mona girl needs to be taught a lesson.

APRIL - I don't even want to think about her.

APRIL thinks - I don't want to think about Katrice either.

OCTAVIA - Yeah I understand. That situation is really upsetting.

APRIL - Yeah, it really is.

OCTAVIA - Why would someone want to come in the easy way? Especially if their mother came in the correct way?

APRIL - Your guess is as good as mine, but to me, it undermines a whole history and legacy of what came before.

OCTAVIA - You're right.

APRIL - But like I said, I don't want to talk about her.

OCTAVIA - Ok sands. Have you thought about who you want to be your spec?

APRIL - Oh definitely PJ. She is my girl. This is gonna make us even closer.

OCTAVIA - Oh yeah that's right. I'm glad PJ will be a soror finally.

APRIL - True that.

OCTAVIA - What about the other two? What do you think about Katrice?

APRIL thinks - If you only knew.

APRIL - She is ok, I just didn't think she was ready.

OCTAVIA - Oh yeah, I remember you saying that in the meeting. Why do you feel that way?

APRIL - Something about first impressions. I don't know, just something about her touched me the wrong way.

OCTAVIA - I know she is good with math and I can respect anyone that takes their work seriously. As a matter of fact, didn't she help you study for something?

APRIL thinks - Oh God.

APRIL - Yeah, she is good. Very good, she knows her stuff.

OCTAVIA - That is cool.

APRIL - What do you think about June? I like her.

OCTAVIA - I love June. We have talked a lot and I want her to be my spec. She knows so much history it is mind blowing.

APRIL - That will come in handy once line starts.

OCTAVIA - It sure will. Hey, let's put the flier over here. We can leave it here for a few hours and then come back and take it down.

APRIL - That's cool.

OCTAVIA - I'm about to go to lab so I can come and take it down in four hours.

APRIL - That's cool. Is the flier in your bag or did I take it.

OCTAVIA - I think you have it, but let me check. Oh wait, here it is.

APRIL - Cool.

OCTAVIA - What are you getting ready to do?

APRIL - Grab something to eat before my next class.

OCTAVIA - Ok well call me later.

APRIL - Alright, skeewee.

(OCTAVIA leaves.)

APRIL thinks - Damn, I'm starving.

(APRIL walks to the cafeteria.)

APRIL thinks - Damn, it is going to be weird as shit pledging Katrice. I can't believe I let her do that to me. I can't believe I liked it!

(APRIL goes into the cafeteria and picks up a tray.)

APRIL thinks - Man I'm starving. I'm starving for a man!

(APRIL chuckles to herself.)

APRIL thinks - I know I'm not gay, I have loved men all my life. Beautiful, strong, black men. TLC said it best, a hard man is so good to find.

(APRIL sings the tune to TLC's song, I'm Good at Being Bad.)

APRIL thinks - I love men, I sure loved the hell out of that D'Angelo video! Damn! I've got to get that shit on tape. His body is a work of art. I wish I had a man like that. He would find out just how ungay I really am.

(APRIL gets up to the register to pay for her food.)

APRIL - Oh shit, I have Octavia's bag!
APRIL thinks - Shit!

APRIL - Maam, I don't seem to have my purse. I will have to put all this stuff back. I'm sorry.

(APRIL hears a voice behind her.)

DERRICK - Don't worry about it, I will pay for hers and mine.

(APRIL turns around and sees a very tall brother in line behind her.)

APRIL - You don't have to do that.
DERRICK - My pleasure, just promise me two things.

APRIL - What?

DERRICK - Don't forget your purse anymore and sit and have lunch with me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our next scene brings us to RONNIE and ALEXIS who have just hugged and kissed.

(RONNIE and ALEXIS lean toward each other to kiss again. ALEXIS closes her eyes but RONNIE pulls back.)

RONNIE - Alexis wait, I don't want to take advantage of this situation.
ALEXIS - Huh?

RONNIE - I know you were feeling bad and I do like you. But I don't want to confuse you and get something started that you may regret later.

RONNIE thinks - This is gonna sound real good!

ALEXIS - I'm not confused, I just feel very safe right now.

RONNIE - And I am glad that you feel that way. But I don't want to fall even deeper for you to have my heartbroken also. I know you still have feelings for Bobby and I know that you are still hurting over him.

ALEXIS - Yeah but I am trying to put that in my past.

RONNIE laughing - Hon, it just happened today.

(ALEXIS frowns.)

RONNIE - I don't mean to laugh at you. But I just want you to be sure about what it is you want to do. I don't want to take advantage of a situation. You are vulnerable right now and I don't want to hurt you nor get hurt myself.
ALEXIS - Ronnie, you are so sweet. Thank you.

RONNIE - No problem. You are welcome to stay though if you want.

ALEXIS - No, I think I will be ok to go home.

RONNIE - Are you sure?

ALEXIS - Yeah, I will be fine. I will call you when I get home just to be safe.

RONNIE - Ok cool.

RONNIE thinks - I'll let her go now but she will be dying to come back and stay from now on!

(They stand up and RONNIE goes to get ALEXIS' coat.)

ALEXIS thinks - Boy, Ronnie is so sweet to me. He is such a good man, a real man.
RONNIE - Ok, here you go.

(RONNIE puts ALEXIS' coat on for her. They walk to the door.)

ALEXIS - Thanks again for everything.
RONNIE - Alexis don't mention it. I know you would be there for me if I ever needed you. It is the least a friend would do.

(ALEXIS smiles. They hug.)

ALEXIS - Bye Ronnie.
RONNIE - Call me when you get in.

ALEXIS - Ok.

(ALEXIS walks to her car. She waves as she drives off.)

ALEXIS thinks - Wow, Ronnie really is sweet. And to think, I didn't believe him at first. I am so glad he called me and told me about Bobby.

(ALEXIS feels her heart drop when she thinks of BOBBY and TRINA.)

ALEXIS thinks - I can't believe Bobby was cheating on me! When did he find the time? Well he can have her, I don't care!

(ALEXIS finds it hard to breathe when she thinks of TRINA being pregnant.)

ALEXIS thinks - And to get her ass pregnant, oh God help me! Please God get me through this!

(ALEXIS pulls up to a red light.)

ALEXIS thinks - He was holding her with the same arms that he was holding me with. She is probably going to go to Nationals in Atlanta with him instead of me. Damn, what friends do I have that I haven't met through Bobby? Me and Nino are so cool, now she will probably be cool with him.

(A car blows it's horn behind ALEXIS and she realizes that the light has turned green.)

(ALEXIS takes a deep breath.)

ALEXIS - I have to calm down. Lord Jesus, please help me. I need you. Help me to be strong Father. Amen.

(ALEXIS feels the tears welling up in her eyes.)

ALEXIS thinks - I have to call my mother. What is she gonna think? She really liked Bobby. I must have been stupid to fall for him. I believed everything he ever told me. I can't believe this is happening to me.

(ALEXIS turns the corner onto her street.)

ALEXIS thinks - Bobby is going to have a baby!

(ALEXIS parks and starts crying. She sits in the car for fifteen minutes and then wipes her face dry.)

ALEXIS thinks - Ok, let me get a grip. I will be fine.

(ALEXIS locks her car and walks up to her house.)

ALEXIS thinks - I have to call Ronnie when I get in. I may need him sooner than I thought.
Caryn - Excuse me, is your name Alexis?

(ALEXIS just looks at Caryn.)

CARYN - I know you don't know me but can I speak to you for a second?
ALEXIS - Uh...what is this about?

CARYN - My name is Caryn and I have something to tell you. I know who you are and I know all about you. I have actually been waiting here for you because there is something that I think you should know.

ALEXIS - How do you know me? What do you have to tell me?

CARYN - I just need to tell you that that bitch Trina is lying to you and she is lying to Bobby! She aint pregnant!

No comments: