Tuesday

Episode 37

ASHANTE glances up from her notes and recognizes GINA and MONA as they enter the room. ASHANTE stops and looks over at MAX, then at APRIL. She continues with her speech.

ASHANTE - These dynamic women extended a proud legacy...

(pause)

ASHANTE - ...legacy...which continues to this day. The Sorors of Ahpla are very involved in the overall development of our community...

(MAX stands up and walks over to SYLVIA)

MAX whispers - Can I speak to you in private?
SYLVIA - Sure.

(MAX and SYLVIA walk toward the back of the room. They pass GINA.)

GINA softly - Hi Max, sorry I am so late soror.

MAX - That is quite alright. Glad you could make it soror.

(MAX and SYLVIA walk outside.)

MAX - What the fuck?
SYLVIA - I know girl.
MAX - Ok so now what do we do? I aint putting that bitch on my line.

(MAX is so upset tears begin to form.)

SYLVIA - Calm down Max, we will work it out.
MAX - But how? Here we are the night of rush and she is here. What grounds can we use now to keep her off line? She has just as much right as anybody else.
SYLVIA - That's true.
MAX - At least if she didn't show up, we could have used that against her. But now...
SYLVIA - Wait, that's it!
MAX - What? What?
SYLVIA - She won't show up.
MAX - What are you talking about? She is already here.
SYLVIA - Yes but if she turns in an incomplete packet, it will be as if she wasn't even here right?
MAX - But how do we get her to turn in an incomplete packet?
SYLVIA - Very simple. She has to give it to one of us.
MAX - Shit! That's right. We can easily lose a recommendation letter or something.
SYLVIA - You just make sure your girl Gina is on the same page of music with us this time.
MAX - Oh definitely.

(MAX and SYLVIA re-enter the room. APRIL is speaking.)

APRIL - Thank you Ashante for those words. And now we will have soror Gina who will render the history of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated.

(GINA stands up and approaches the mic. She looks at the mic and thinks about MIRI. She sighs...)

GINA - Alpha Kappa Alpha was founded on the campus of Howard University...
JUNE thinks - I could run this history down with my eyes closed and my hands tied. I am so nervous. I hope I wore the right outfit.

PJ thinks - Damn I am glad Mona made it! What the hell would make her show up late? I see she still hasn't learned her lesson.
GINA - The sorority stood proudly at the forefront of...
PJ thinks - I gotta think sharp. They are gonna expect me to be sharp. I'd better be. No slippin'. I'm just glad I didn't go out with Gregg after the diner. I would probably have him on my mind all night and I don't need that. Gotta stay sharp.
KATRICE - I hope they want me. I want to be an AKA so bad. Look how elegant they look.
GINA - Today chapters span the globe as members of Alpha Kappa Alpha...

(PJ glances over at MONA. She flashes a little smile. MONA smiles back.)

MONA thinks - I'm glad I made it! I'm a shoo-in now!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As we changes scenes, we find ALEXIS who is at home.

ALEXIS thinks - I have to get something to eat. I am not hungry but I haven't eaten in so long, I know my body is going to fall out.

(telephone rings)

ALEXIS thinks - Bobby!
ALEXIS - Hello?
RONNIE - Hey.
ALEXIS - Ronnie.
ALEXIS thinks - Damn.
RONNIE - How you feeling? I haven't spoken to you in a minute and I was checking...
ALEXIS - Man am I glad to hear from you. New developments!
RONNIE - What? Fill me in.
ALEXIS - Ok, check this shit out. Trina is not pregnant.
RONNIE - What!
RONNIE thinks - Dammit!
ALEXIS - Yeah, one of her ex friends actually came over here and spoke to me. Apparently this Trina bitch tried to pull some shit on her too.
RONNIE - What do you mean?
ALEXIS - Well Trina once told this girl Caryn that she slept with her man and that she had gotten pregnant. Of course Caryn was very upset and almost broke up with him.
RONNIE - Uh huh.
ALEXIS - But it was all a hoax.
RONNIE - I don't understand though, why would she make some shit like that up?
ALEXIS - Because she wanted to get Caryn's man for herself. She figured Caryn would get upset and dump him and then she could move in on that nigga.
RONNIE - What? Are you serious?
ALEXIS - Yes!
RONNIE - That's hard to believe.
ALEXIS - Yeah but Caryn told me herself. I want to go over and whip Trina's ass.
RONNIE thinks - Ok I gotta think fast here.
RONNIE - I hear ya, but there is one major difference in the two scenarios.
ALEXIS - What is that?
RONNIE - Caryn's man was innocent of all charges. Maybe Bobby didn't get Trina pregnant, but Bobby did sleep with her. As you told me the story, Bobby was there and he told you himself that he thought she was pregnant by him. So maybe she isn't pregnant, but he did hit it. That is the difference.

(silence)

ALEXIS - I didn't even think about that.
RONNIE - I'm not trying to hurt you, I just want you to look at all sides and make the best decisions for you.
RONNIE thinks - That was good!

(ALEXIS feels bad all over again.)

ALEXIS - Damn, I really didn't even consider that. I was thinking about kicking Trina's ass and then trying to work things out with Bobby. But come to find out, he did sleep with her...regardless of if she is pregnant.
RONNIE - Right.

(silence)

RONNIE - Are you alright?

(silence)

RONNIE - Alexis? Hey! Alexis!
ALEXIS crying - Yes.
RONNIE - Ok you know what? Fuck this shit, I am tired of hearing you crying. I'm coming over right now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next we find WILLIE who is walking with THERESA in the H.A. Callis student union.

THERESA - Don't even worry about it girl. I am sure we will be able to recoop the funds in other projects and fund raisers that we plan to do.
WILLIE - But the thing is, I don't even understand what could have gone wrong. I personally spoke to 15 people who said they wanted to hear the guys sing. What happened to at least those orders?
THERESA - When it comes to Valentine's Day, people do the same thing every year. Flowers, candy and dinner. After that, most cats are broke. Especially these broke ass niggas on campus.
WILLIE - But you know what the worst thing is?
THERESA - I know what you're gonna say.
WILLIE - Just knowing the fact that Sylvia was right. Oooh that burns me up.
THERESA - I knew you were going to say that.
WILLIE - Damn!
THERESA - Get over it, it isn't that big a deal.
WILLIE - That's easy for you to say. She confronted me in front of the whole assembly. I'm gonna look stupid as hell.
THERESA - Well that idea was stupid as hell.
WILLIE - Shut up!
THERESA laughing - I'm just kidding girl. Really, don't worry about it. It was a good idea but it was hit or miss. And you missed.
WILLIE - Yeah and the assembly missed because we are in the hole now.
THERESA - Yeah.
WILLIE - Well anyway, let me get up out of here, I have to go to the library for a late study group.
THERESA - Aight, I will call you later. I'm gonna chill for a minute.
WILLIE - Ok see ya later.

(WILLIE and THERESA part ways and THERESA goes into the book store.)

THERESA thinks - Man, I feel bad for Willie. She is going to look stupid as hell at the next meeting. I can see Sylvia smiling now.

(THERESA laughs to herself and goes to the register to pay for her soda.)

THERESA thinks - But her little rivalry with Sylvia is stupid anyway. That whole Greek thing is silly.

(THERESA opens her soda as she walks out of the building.)

THERESA thinks - Wow it's dark out here. I think there must be a broken street lamp or something.

(THERESA begins to walk across campus.)

THERESA thinks - Damn, I have a million things to do once I get home.

(THERSA hears someone approaching behind her and she turns around. There is a man walking up behind in all black with a hood on.)

THERESA thinks - Oh shit, someone is walking up on me!

(THERESA clutches her bag and thinks of where she put her mase.)

THERESA thinks - Wait, I shouldn't think that way. Not every black man is a thief or a mugger. Dammit, I hate myself for even thinking that in the first place. Here I am on one of the most prestigious Black universities in the world and I am thinking like a common white person.

(THERESA relaxes as the man gets closer.)

THERESA thinks - Maybe I will cut this left turn just in case.

(THERESA makes a left turn, so does the man.)

THERESA thinks - No problem, he will probably just pass.

(The man gets very close and bumps THERESA as he passes. She drops her bag off her shoulder and drops her purse. Her soda bottle crashes on the ground.)

THERESA bending over - Dammit! The word is excuse me!
JASON - Oh I'm sorry bitch, did I bump you?

(THERESA looks up at the man and recognizes who it is as he takes his hood off.)

THERESA - What did you say?
JASON - You heard me exactly!
THERESA - Do you have problem?
JASON - Don't play with me Theresa! You know exactly what my problem is! You tried to fuck up my chances of getting into Alpha!
THERESA - I don't know what you're talking about.
JASON - Yes the hell you do!
THERESA - You'd better stop yelling at me! I said I don't know what you are talking about!
JASON - Oh yeah, well explain this!

(JASON pulls a copy of the e-mail out of his pocket. THERESA takes it and looks at it.)

THERESA - Look, I said I didn't know what you were talking about now leave me alone.
JASON - How could you? You tried to fuck me up! Do you know how much shit this caused? You had the balls to pull this stunt but now you aint got the balls to say you did it?
THERESA - Ok fine, I did it. But you started this shit. I told you not to fuck with me and I meant it. See if you get Alpha now!
JASON - Fuck you!
THERESA - You are such a waste! And another thing...

(JASON slaps THERESA across the right side of her face. THERESA falls to the ground.)

No comments: