Tuesday

Episode 30

We begin this week's episode with PJ, KATRICE, MONA and JUNE who are meeting about preparing themselves for line.

PJ - What did you say?
MONA - Why the hell didn't you make line last year if yall were so tight? You keep bragging about how last year was, and last year you were so on point. Then April and Octavia pledge without you. So what's the story girlee?
KATRICE - Mona, I think that is a personal question that PJ may not want to answer.
JUNE thinks - Sheesh!
MONA - There shouldn't be any personal things between us. If we are going to be line sisters and sorors, then I want to know all there is to know about the three of you.
PJ thinks - If you only knew!
PJ - No Katrice, it's cool. I will answer the question.
MONA - The moment of truth!
PJ - Anyway...

(PJ looks somber.)

PJ - There was a certain soror in the chapter that didn't care for me too well. We had an altercation.
MONA - A fight?
PJ - No, nothing like that. Well, not in the physical sense.
MONA - Well do tell. This is getting good!

(PJ sighs.)

PJ - Anyway, she was influential in the chapter and basically she kept me off line.
JUNE - How can one person keep you off line?
PJ - One person last year who was chapter president.
JUNE - Chapter president? That was Shareeca Sumpter.
PJ - Very good June, you seem to know your history.
KATRICE - Well what happened between you and Shareeca?
PJ - She wasn't too pleased with the man I chose to date in the fall semester last year.
KATRICE - But why would she use that against you making line? Isn't that mixing business with personal reasons? What does that have to do with the sorority?
PJ - She wasn't too pleased because it was her ex boyfriend.
MONA - I knew it!
JUNE - Mona!
MONA grinning - Sorry.

(PJ stares at MONA.)

PJ - I thought it was her ex at least. Well that is what he told me. She tells a different story. Nonetheless, it isn't good to not have favor with the chapter president.
KATRICE - Well where is she now? Could that hurt your chances this year?
JUNE - From the chapter history packet, it says that she graduated and moved back home to Florida for grad school.
PJ - Yeah, I know.
MONA - Is that why you weren't sure about pledging before?
PJ - Not really. I just didn't like some of the changes I saw in April and I didn't want to go that route myself.

(KATRICE looks at PJ. PJ looks back.)

MONA - So you slept with a soror's man? Oooh! How do you know Sylvia and the rest of them won't use that against you now?
PJ - Because I know for a fact that Sylvia and the rest of them don't know.
JUNE - They don't know?
PJ - No.
JUNE - How do you know that?
PJ - I have my ways of finding out things within the chapter. Nobody knows and Shareeca has graduated. So now only the four of us know.
JUNE - So what reason do Octavia and April think for why you didn't make it?
PJ - They think that I was uncertain about balancing duties with pledging, the chapter and my schoolwork.
JUNE - Wow that's deep.
MONA - Well where is this guy now? Did he graduate and move to Florida with Shareeca?
PJ - No he didn't.
JUNE - Are they still together?
PJ - Yeah, he is very loyal to her, eventhough it is a long distance relationship.
MONA - So where is this guy now?
KATRICE - Yeah, who is this brother?
PJ - His name is Greg and he is a Kappa.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our next scene takes us to the Alpha House where the brothers have gathered to meet.

BOBBY - This meeting is called to order. Now we all know what we are here for. And I don't know about you bros, but I don't want to be here very long. This shouldn't take long at all. As long as we are very serious and discuss these possible new entrants with sincere concern as to their promise to us as future brothers.
DONTE - I say fuck em all!

(Brothers laugh except BOBBY.)

BOBBY - Well maybe if you had a vote, that would matter. But since you don't could you kindly keep your outbursts to yourself?
DONTE - Boy, somebody is on his period huh?
BOBBY - Like I was saying. Let's get this over with. Reggie, since you are going to be their dean, you want to come up and say a few words?

REGGIE - Yeah. Thanks. Brothers, it is a dawn of a new age in Alpha. This will be the first line of the millennium. Ahpla spring two k. I have been entrusted with the task to bring these boys in right and I can and will do that. But it will take the cooperation of the brotherhood young and old. Cooperation meaning sticking to the program and not everyone going on their own agenda.

(REGGIE looks at DONTE. DONTE smiles.)

REGGIE - I think we have potential to have a great line and a great semester. I am pumped up and ready for the challenge and I hope you bros are too. That's all I have to say.

NINO - Oh six!
BOBBY - Thanks Reggie.

(REGGIE sits down.)

BOBBY - Ok, time to vote. Let's talk about each candidate and then cast our votes. First is Larry.
DONTE - He told me that he only wants to pledge for the bitches. What kind of shit is that?

REGGIE - I told you that too.
BOBBY - I didn't tell you that but that is what I was thinking.

(Brothers laugh.)

DONTE - I just wanted to make you voting bros aware of his intentions.
NINO - Those aren't his intentions. He just speaks what is the first thing that is on his mind without thinking. I am sure we can break him out of that shit.

TREY - True, very true.

REGGIE - Yeah, he strikes me as a brother that goes hard to get what he wants. And we could use that, especially with regionals right after intake. We need some help with our chapter of the year presentation. We can't rely on some of the old heads. So we may need to rest the weight on these neos.

DONTE - But don't vote someone in just because you want to put work on them that we as a chapter should be doing.

REGGIE - I'm not saying that. If that was the case, I would agree with you. But that is not what I am saying.
BOBBY - I kinda feel where you are coming from Reg. I see the same quality in Larry. And whether we like it or not, we need hard workers in the chapter. Not hard talkers.
NINO - So let's get to the vote.
BOBBY - Ok, all in favor of Larry by a show of hands.

(NINO, REGGIE, BOBBY and TREY raise their hands.)

BOBBY - Ok, Larry is in. Quentin is next.
DONTE - Now this guy I like.

NINO - He is damn indiscreet though. He approached me on the yard one day talking loud as hell about some information. I never forgot that shit.

REGGIE - But you have to admit, he has grown a lot since then. I think he handled himself well under pressure. I see this cat being chapter president next year.
BOBBY - If I decide not to run again!

(Brothers laugh.)

TREY - I think Quentin displays great leadership potential, he just needs to be tightened up.

DONTE - Hear hear!
BOBBY - And we are going to leave the tightening up to the active bros!

( BOBBY stares at DONTE.)

BOBBY - So let's vote. All in favor of Quentin by a show of hands.

(NINO, REGGIE, BOBBY and TREY raise their hands.)

BOBBY - That is two down and one to go. Jason.
TREY - Brothers, we seem to have saved the best for last.
BOBBY - What do you mean?
TREY - It seems as if Mr. Jason is pretty sure of himself in his desire to want to be an Alpha. I received an e-mail from frat from Beta Epsilon chapter in North Carolina. Jason is from there and he sent the bros there an e-mail. Let me read it...

To the brothers of Beta Epsilon chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity inc. My name is Jason and I am an interest of Alpha Phi Alpha. I am originally from North Carolina and I wanted to express to the brothers at Beta Epsilon that I would like for my chapter here at Ahpla to form a closer bond with the Beta Epsilon brothers once I cross the burning sands. I will be home for spring break and I will be sporting the good old black and gold. So I am looking forward to hooking up with the brothers and my sands from spring two thousand. It will be a glorious day when I meet and greet you my future frat brothers. Please wish me well in my semester endeavors as I will wish you well as to the success of your pledge activities. Sincerely, blah blah blah.

BOBBY - That nigga wrote that!
DONTE - I can't believe that shit! Oh hell no!

TREY - Bruh, I didn't make it up. The bros from BE sent me a very comical letter laughing at his ass. Then they forwarded to me exactly what he wrote word for word. I say we cut this negro. He is too bold and too cocky!

NINO - I am in shock! I would have never dreamed of doing some bold shit like that!

DONTE - I wouldn't even do that shit as crazy as I am.
BOBBY - I think we have heard enough. We can settle this shit right now, quick, fast and in a hurry. All in favor of Jason?

(No brothers raise their hand.)

BOBBY - All brothers opposed?

(NINO, REGGIE, BOBBY and TREY raise their hand.)

DONTE - I wish I could vote!
BOBBY - So that settles it. Larry and Quentin make it, Jason is out on his ass!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin the Undergraduate Student Assembly meeting. SYLVIA and WILLIE are at odds over the heart to heart project.

WILLIE - This project can really come off well and the students that I asked about it were all for it. Every one of the students that I polled said that they would be more than willing to hear the group perform strictly for them. I don't think that the conservative approach is the way to go here.
SYLVIA - Can I ask just the students in this room how many would pay the fee listed here for these guys to sing to them? Raise your hands if you would.
WILLIE - No you may not ask just the students in this room because that would require a vote and only I can call for a vote. I am the president.
SYLVIA - If you understood parlimentary procedure, you would know that anyone can move for a vote.
THERESA - Ladies, please.
SYLVIA calming - Look. This price is outlandish and that is the bottom line. We are dealing with college students and our goal should be to sponsor something nice for them that they can afford. Not price it so only the priviledged can enjoy.

(Other students begin to murmur amongst themselves.)

WILLIE - Quiet please!
SYLVIA thinks - This girl is power tripping!

(JASON raises his hand.)

WILLIE - Jason?
JASON - Why don't we hear one last closing arguement in support of each viewpoint and then cast a secret ballot at the end. That way, no one's feelings are hurt as to which way the group votes.
THERESA thinks - What do you care about hurting people's feelings?
WILLIE - That sounds good. Let's try that. Syliva, would you like to present your arguement?
SYLVIA - Sure.

(SYLVIA stands and turns to face the group.)

SYLVIA - This is a simple no brainer. We don't have nearly enough in our budget to cover this. I think madaam president is hoping on a big return in order to make a lot of money. That in essence would get the assembly out of debt and on to the major projects for the spring time. But as young as heart to heart is, it is far too risky to bank on a project that we have no idea how well it will be received. Yes it would be a nice gesture. Yes the group is very talented. But is it worth the investment without a sure return? Absolutely not.
THERESA thinks - Jason doesn't know shit about hurting people. But he is about to find out!
WILLIE - Ladies and gentlemen...
SYLVIA thinks - Oh brother.
WILLIE - This project has the potential to outdo the woman to woman conference held at Ahpla every year. As well as the relationship seminar and the egyptology seminar. As a matter of fact, those projects will be overshadowed by this tremendous event.
SYLVIA thinks - I guess it is very coincidental that woman to woman and relationship seminar every year is run by AKA's and the egyptology seminar is run by the Alphas.
WILLIE - Every successful project needed start up funds. This can be huge, even in it's first year. I know it will be successful and I hope you do too. I will be truly hurt if this proposal doesn't pass.
THERESA thinks - Jason is the one who is going to be truly hurt when the Alphas at North Carolina A and T read that e-mail that I wrote!
THERESA - Are we ready for the secret ballot now?
WILLIE - I think so. Everyone please write yes for favorable responses and no for unfavorable. We will collect the ballots and count them now.

(The voices in the room are overshadowing by the sound of continuous sheets of notebook papaer being torn out for the ballot.)

WILLIE - Theresa, could you please collect all ballots?
THERESA - Sure.

(THERESA walks around and begins to collect the votes. JASON gives her his vote and puts another piece of paper in her hand. THERESA holds it in her hand. Partially to play it off and partially because she was curious as to what JASON had to say for himself.)

WILLIE - Has anyone been omitted from the vote?

(silence)

WILLIE - Ok Theresa, let's count them up.

(THERESA doesn't hear her, she is too busy reading the note that JASON handed to her.)

NOTE: Theresa I am sorry. If you let me talk to you, you will see why I did what I did. It was selfish, but just hear me and you will forgive me. Promise.

THERESA thinks - Just as cocky as ever!
WILLIE - Theresa!
THERESA - Huh? Oh sorry. What did you say?
WILLIE - It is time to count the votes and see whether heart to heart will go on boring as usual or spiced up with the singing group.

(SYLVIA cuts her eyes at WILIE.)

WILLIE - So let's count these votes and see what's up.

No comments: