Tuesday

Episode 26

We open this week's episode with the telephone conversation between SYLVIA and MRS. FERGUSON.

SYLVIA - Yes, I received a phone call from Mona. She informed me that one of the other young ladies interested in our sorority was wearing our letters. I thought it was very strange. It is very unlike this young lady to disrespect our organization like this.
MRS. FERGUSON - Really? Who is this person?
SYLVIA thinks - Yeah right, like you really know her.
SYLVIA - I'm sure you don't know of her. Her name is PJ.
MRS. FERGUSON - Oh Presjina?
SYLVIA thinks - Oh shit.
SYLVIA - You know her?
MRS. FERGUSON - Yes, I have spoken to her on the phone. And I did get a funny feeling about her when we spoke. I wouldn't be to sure about trusting her.
SYLVIA - I have known PJ for a few years. I would feel comfortable writing her recommendation letter myself. She has an enormous amount of respect for the sorority and the sorors here on campus.
MRS. FERGUSON - If she is so upstanding, why was she caught in AKA paraphanelia?
SYLVIA - It's really hard for me to believe that she was. I was more interested in knowing why Mona would tell me something like that.
MRS. FERGUSON - If Mona told you that, then it must be true. Why would she lie about it? Besides, this is chapter business. You are basileus of the Ahpla chapter. You need to handle this. This is certainly not for me to get involved.
SYLVIA thinks - Ok, I see I'm getting nowhere with this.
SYLVIA - You're right soror. I'm sure I can handle this.
MRS. FERGUSON - Good. Keep me posted on the dates for all the events.
SYLVIA - I sure will maam.
MRS. FERGUSON - Good hearing from you soror.
SYLVIA - You too soror, bye.

(SYLVIA hangs up and quickly calls MAX back.)

MAX - Hello?
SYLVIA - Hey it's me.
MAX - What happened? What did you do?
SYLVIA - I just spoke to Mona's mother.
MAX - What? You called Soror Ferguson.
SYLVIA - Yes I did.
MAX - What did you do that for?
SYLVIA - I wanted to see what she was about, what she would allow us to do and how involved she wants to be with our process. Then I wanted to know how she felt about Mona's character and whether or not Mona would lie about another prospect.
MAX - Well?
SYLVIA - This situation is worse that I thought.
MAX - Really? She's not cool?
SYLVIA - She's terrible. She won't let us do shit. And she thinks that Mona is a goody two shoes or some shit.
MAX - Alright. I have an idea.
SYLVIA - What's up?
MAX - I spoke to Ashante and told her this idea. She said that if we could pull it off, it may work. If we post fliers up for rush, we can say it's gonna be in some building on campus. Give the time and date. Then right before, we change the venue and only notify the people we want to attend. In other words, everyone except Mona.
SYLVIA - That's right! Because even Mona will be ineligible if she doesn't attend rush!
MAX - Exactly.
SYLVIA - Ok, check it out. You call April. I'll call Octavia and Ashante. We need an emergency meeting. We need to set the time and place for rush and call Paul over at designs dot com so he can create the first flier. We need to also make sure we are all in agreement on which girls we want.
MAX - We can go ahead and vote at the meeting.
SYLVIA - Yeah, that's the deal.
MAX - So the meeting is tonight at eight?
SYLVIA - Eight o' eight!
MAX - Ha ha ha, cool. I'll see you there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We change scenes and find PJ knocking on KATRICE's door.

(KATRICE opens the door.)

PJ - Hi girl.
KATRICE surprised - Hi PJ. Come in. What brings you by?
PJ - I wanted to see if you were home and I wanted to get a chance to talk to you if you weren't busy.
KATRICE - Sure. As a matter of fact, I was going to call you today. Have a seat.
PJ - Thanks. What were you calling me about?
KATRICE - I thought maybe we needed to talk about what happened. I know you were shocked and I thought it would be good to clear the air.
PJ - That's cool. But even before that, we have business to discuss.
KATRICE - What's up?
PJ - Now is the time that we need to really get serious as a group about Alpha Kappa Alpha. They will be voting soon and I don't think that we are tight enough. I'm not sure how much history you know, or June or Mona. And it is going to be really bad if we aren't ready when they feel we should be.
KATRICE - So what do you suggest?
PJ - I suggest we meet tonight and have a serious study session to make sure that we are all on the same page. Whatever one of us knows, we must all know.
KATRICE - I'm all for that. You want to have it over here?
PJ - That would work.
KATRICE - How much information should we know by now?
PJ - By now, we need to know as much information about the founders as we can. Then we need to know a lot of the history of this chapter. I know a lot of that, and maybe Mona can dig up some stuff from her mom.
KATRICE - Ok.
PJ - Then, we need to know everything we can about each other. Which brings me to my next point.
KATRICE - Ok...
PJ - Are you a lesbian?
KATRICE - Yes. Eventhough I feel that my sexual orientation and what you walked in on is none of your business, I will share with you if you like. I am not ashamed of who I am and if you wish to know, I will tell you.
PJ - I can agree that it is none of my business. What you choose to do is your business. I just think I should know all that there is to know about you if we may be line sisters or sorors one day.
KATRICE - True.
PJ - But I can't lie and say that the fact that I walked into my own room and saw...
KATRICE - I know. Let me explain that. I was attracted to April when I first saw her.

(PJ gets a weird look on her face.)

KATRICE - I know it sounds crazy, but it's the truth. I am attracted to women.
PJ smiles - I know but it does sound crazy.
KATRICE - Well anyway, I liked her and I came over to help her study. I honestly never intended on trying anything with her or anything like that. She was having a hard time catching on to some of the equations so I thought a massage would help her relax.
PJ - A massage?
KATRICE - Yeah.
PJ - If another girl offerred me a massage, I would say hell no!
KATRICE - But there wasn't anything fishy about it. I wasn't even going there. So I guess to April, it seemed safe. The massage definitely relaxed her and then one thing let to another.
PJ - So do you think April is a lesbian?
KATRICE - I don't think I know her well enough to say. She has never done anything like that before, that I do know. I think it shook her up a bit. I apologized to her for making her feel uncomfortable. Does it make you uncomfortable?
PJ - I'm not homophobic or anything. But whenever I think about being on line, I think about how close everyone is when they line up. I never thought I could have someone up on me that could like me.
KATRICE - Don't get it twisted. Just because I am a lesbian doesn't mean I like everyone. It isn't like that.
PJ - I have always thought of it as if it were a guy. If a guy was in a female locker room, he may not like everyone in there but the view of naked women must turn him on.
KATRICE - It doesn't work like that. That's not how I feel. I don't see you that way at all and it would not be a problem for us to be in very close proximity like on line.
PJ - What about June or Mona?
KATRICE - I don't like any of yall that way. Nor would I make you feel uncomfortable in a situation like that.
PJ - Did you plan on telling them?
KATRICE - No. Like I said, it isn't anyone's business. It sort of became your business when you saw what you saw.
PJ - So this is between me, you and April?
KATRICE - Yes and it needs to remain there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin RONNIE and ALEXIS who have just hugged.

ALEXIS - Thank you.
RONNIE - What are you thanking me for?
ALEXIS - I know that you are looking out for my best interest and I am not thinking straight right now. You're right, I don't need to run home to him. Fuck him, let Trina run home to him!
RONNIE thinks - Yes!
RONNIE - Don't get upset at him though. Just calm down and relax. That is the best thing for you. Come here and sit back down.

(RONNIE and ALEXIS sit on the couch together.)

RONNIE - Let's just chill out and try and get your mind off of it. Let's see what's on tv.

(ALEXIS puts her head on RONNIE's shoulder.)

RONNIE thinks - Yes!
RONNIE - What's on HBO?

(RONNIE turns on HBO and Jungle Fever is on.)

Flipper - I've never cheated on my wife before...

(ALEXIS closes her eyes.)

RONNIE - Oh sorry. Let's listen to some music instead.

(RONNIE turns off the television and turns on the radio.)

ALEXIS - Ronnie?
RONNIE - Yeah?
ALEXIS - What's wrong with me?
RONNIE - What's wrong with you? What do you mean? There isn't anything wrong with you?
ALEXIS - Why do you think he did it? Why can't I find a real man to love me and only me? Is it something that I am doing wrong?
RONNIE - Alexis there is nothing that you are doing wrong. You are a wonderful person, you're smart, attractive and have a lot going for yourself. You just got caught up with a brother who doesn't know how to handle a mature woman.

(ALEXIS picks her head off of RONNIE's shoulder. RONNIE turns to face ALEXIS.)

RONNIE - Alexis, you are a beautiful girl and I hate to see you hurt like this. You need a real man to take care of you. Someone who understands mature relationships and is ready for one. No games, no tricks.
ALEXIS - Is this a plug for yourself?
RONNIE - I do like you, I like you a lot. I have since we first met. But to be honest, since I have gotten to know you, I just want you to be happy. If you meet another guy that treats you well and with respect, then I would be happy if you are happy.
RONNIE thinks - I hope this is working.
ALEXIS - That is very sweet.
RONNIE - And it is very true.

(ALEXIS looks at RONNIE with a very sad expression. RONNIE places his hand on ALEXIS' face.)

RONNIE - Don't be sad. It will all work out in the end.
ALEXIS - How are you so sure?
RONNIE - Because my grandmother told me.
ALEXIS - Huh?
RONNIE - My grandmother told me that weeping may endure for a night but joy comes in the morning.

(ALEXIS smiles.)

RONNIE - See there, you are feeling better already. That is the pretty face that I want to see!
ALEXIS - Thank you so much for your kind words and being here for me.
RONNIE - No need to thank me. I know if I needed you, you'd do the same for me.

(ALEXIS leans over and hugs RONNIE again. When they begin to lean back, ALEXIS kisses RONNIE on the cheek. RONNIE turns his face to return a kiss to ALEXIS's cheek. They pull back a little and look at each other. They both lean forward, but both look down when there foreheads meet. As they raise their faces up, ALEXIS gives RONNIE a small peck on the lips.)

NINO - Say bruh, we'll just wait here in the car.
BOBBY - Aight.

(BOBBY uses his key and goes into ALEXIS's apartment.)

BOBBY - Alexis baby, are you home?

No comments: