Tuesday

Episode 27

We begin this week's episode with the telephone conversation between JUNE and MONA.

JUNE crying - Hi Mona.
MONA - Who is this?
JUNE - This is June.
MONA - What's the matter June, what happened?

(JUNE starts to cry harder.)

MONA - June what's wrong?
JUNE - I just need to talk to you Mona. My boyfriend and I just broke up.
MONA - What? Why?
JUNE - He doesn't want me to pledge AKA. He said that if I did it, he would leave me. I told him that it wasn't fair for him to tell me that.
MONA - So he left you?
JUNE - He made it sound like it was my fault. Like I was leaving him by deciding to pledge.

(silence)

MONA - You don't think that it is?
JUNE - Is what?
MONA - Your fault.
JUNE - My fault? Of course not.
MONA - Well I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but I can see where he is coming from.
JUNE - What?
MONA - Think about it. Were you the one that came to him and said that you wanted to pledge?
JUNE - Yeah.
MONA - Then he didn't wake up one day and decide that he wanted to break up with you. That was a decision that he made after you came to him first. So if you had not have said that to him, yall would still be together.
JUNE - Are you serious? What about me doing what I want to do with my life?
MONA - Relationships are give and take. Sometimes it takes meeting halfway for things to work out. By you going to him, it is placing your wants and needs before the wants and needs of the relationship.
JUNE thinks - I can't believe I am hearing this.

(JUNE stops crying.)

JUNE - Mona, Alpha Kappa Alpha is very important to me. Yes I love Derrick but I have never wanted something so bad in my life as I want to be an AKA.
MONA - Then why are you crying?
JUNE thinks - What?
JUNE - I am crying because I will miss my friend. But I have to do what is right for June first. The man that says that he loves me should be willing and able to support the things that are important to me in my life.
MONA - What if he came home one day and said that it was important to him to rob a bank. Would you support that?
JUNE - Robbing a bank is against the law, no I would not support that. But if my man came home and told me that he had aspirations of playing professional basketball, I would support that whole heartedly. But why are you taking this viewpoint anyway? I thought you would be supportive of me being that you are trying to pledge too?
MONA - I'm sorry June, I just like to keep it real.
JUNE - So if your boyfriend came to you now and told you that he didn't want you to pledge, and if you did pledge he would break up with you, you would not go on line?
MONA - If I was in love with him?
JUNE - Yeah.
MONA - And how is the sex?
JUNE - I'm serious.
MONA - Just kidding. If I was truly in love, I would not go on line. The sorority aint going anywhere. Love may come once in a lifetime.
JUNE - But don't you think AKA is a once in a lifetime opportunity as well? Sure you can pledge later, but there must be a special experience to go on line at this particular time, with me and PJ and Katrice. Don't you think that would be special? Even if you went on line next year, it wouldn't be the same as sharing the bond with us this year.
MONA - There would be other opportunities. I'm sure that the girls that try out next year are cool too and we would share special experiences as well. Nothing against you or Katrice or PJ because I like yall and want to pledge with yall. But if I lose my man, that could take an eternity to replace. Most men nowadays are either married, gay or dogs. So if I have one that is single, straight and respectful, AKA could wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the clock strikes eight oh eight, we find SYLVIA, MAX, ASHANTE, APRIL, and OCTAVIA all in attendance for this highly anticipated chapter meeting.

MAX - Sorors, I call this meeting to order. As you all know, we have a lot to discuss so let's get to it. Since this is a special meeting, we will not be reading the minutes from the last meeting. Sylvia.
SYLVIA - Thank you. Sorors, we have a few orders of business that are of extreme importance. We have four interested ladies in the chapter. We need to discuss our feelings on these women and set the date and time for rush. But first, there is a reason why this meeting was called the way that it was called. As you know, one of the interested women is Mona Ferguson. I'm sure you all have heard of her by now if you have not met her yet. Many of you that have spoken to Mona about her interest in the sorority. It has been stated about her bad attitude and lack of willingness toward the process, in conjunction with her mother being an active member and one of our chapter founders.
APRIL thinks - Yeah I remember that bitch. Ooh I don't like that girl.
SYLVIA - I received a phone call from Mona and she informed me that she walked in on another interest wearing our letters and signed into the skeephi chat room as a soror.
OCTAVIA - What?
APRIL - What interest?
SYLVIA - She told me PJ.
APRIL - PJ? That's crazy! That can't be true!
ASHANTE - And even if it were true, why would Mona tell on another interest like that?
SYLVIA - That's my question. So I took it a step further and called Soror Ferguson. I wanted to get to the bottom of her feelings toward Mona and our process. The bottom line is, we won't be able to do much with her mother involved.
APRIL thinks - Damn.
SYLVIA - Max, you want to take it from here?
MAX - Yeah. Sorors, here is what we are going to do. We are going to post fliers up for rush. Rush will be at seven oh eight in Slowe Hall. A few hours before rush, we are going to change the venue. We will change it to Pearl. I called and reserved the small auditorium downstairs in Pearl. We will notify those women that we want to attend. Anyone that does not attend, cannot be considered for membership.

(OCTAVIA raises her hand.)

SYLVIA - The chair recognizes Octavia.
OCTAVIA - Can we do that? Is that legal?

ASHANTE - Yes it is. There are plenty of reasons to change the venue of an event. We will post the flier for the new venue. Anyone that doesn't see the new flier, it is just tight on them.

OCTAVIA - Well in that case, I move that we accept and adopt the proposal put forth by Soror Max and institute it without delay.
MAX - Second.
SYLVIA - It has been moved and properly second that the proposal be accepted and instituted. All in favor?

(All Sorors raise their hand.)

SYLVIA - Wonderful. Now let us discuss each interested lady one at a time. First is Presjina. Would anyone like to begin?
APRIL - I would.
SYLVIA - Go ahead April.
APRIL - PJ is a good person and a good friend. She was with Octavia and I last year but did not see the journey through. I know it is in her heart and I know she is ready. She is very respecful and diligent. And I know that this bullshit that Mona said about her isn't true.
OCTAVIA - I agree. I back PJ one hundred percent. I think she would be a welcomed addition to our chapter and work hard toward the chapter goals.

MAX - I move that we close discussion and go straight to vote.
APRIL - Second.
SYLVIA - It has been moved to close discussion and vote on PJ. All in favor of closing discussion?

(All Sorors raise their hand.)

SYLVIA - Ok, all in favor of PJ being accepted as a new member of our chapter?

(All Sorors raise their hand.)

SYLVIA - Alright. One down, two to go.

(APRIL smiles to herself.)

SYLVIA - Next is June.
OCTAVIA - I have spent many hours with June. I have never met anyone that has memorized so much history. I would lilke to put her online just so I can see how well the other girls match up to what she knows!

(Sorors laugh.)

MAX - What about the issue with her boyfriend?

OCTAVIA - I talked to her about it and I think she is going to handle that.
APRIL - Are you sure it won't be an issue?
OCTAVIA - I'm sure.

SYLVIA - I think she is very respectful too, I just don't want a situation where she will change her mind in the middle of the process.

OCTAVIA - One thing that I have noticed is that she is very strong, just young. I am willing to put my word up for her. She will make the right decision and she will stick with it.

MAX - Then I move to close discussion.
SYLVIA - All in favor of closing discussion on JUNE?

(All Sorors raise their hand.)

SYLVIA - All in favor of June being accepted as a new member of our chapter?

(All Sorors raise their hand.)

SYLVIA - Now we have Katrice.
MAX - Katrice and I talked, we have a calculus lab together. She is very intelligent and knows what she wants.
APRIL - I'm not sure if she is ready though.
MAX - She is really on point.
APRIL - She struck me as immature. I don't know if the pressure of line would break her. I think she may need to wait a year.
OCTAVIA - I don't know sands. She seems very tight as far as her mentality. She would be good with mind games, which could be an overall aid on line.
APRIL thinks - Yeah, she is good with mind games all right.
APRIL - I studied trig with her and we had a lengthy...conversation. She came off as someone who could be very tight at some point, but not now. Maybe next year.
MAX - I move that we close discussion. We probably will not change each other's minds.
SYLVIA - There is a motion on the floor to end discussion. Do I hear a second?
APRIL - I have a quick question.
SYLVIA - Unreadiness. Ok, what is your question?
APRIL - Two thirds is the requirement for acceptance on line right?
SYLVIA - Yes.
APRIL - Ok.
SYLVIA - There is still a motion on the floor.
OCTAVIA - Second.
SYLVIA - It has been moved that discussion cease on Katrice. Anymore unreadiness?

(Sorors look at APRIL.)

SYLVIA - Ok, all in favor of closing discussion on Katrice?

(All Sorors raise their hand.)

SYLVIA - All in favor of Katrice being accepted as a new member of our chapter?

(MAX raises her hand, OCTAVIA raises her hand.)

APRIL thinks - Yes! Two out of four! She didn't make it!
SYLVIA - Ok, that settles it. We have a line of three.
APRIL - A line of three? How? Katrice only got two votes out of four!
SYLVIA - Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I should have raised my hand as well. Since I was counting, I didn't raise my hand that time. But I voted for Katrice too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin MIRI who is in Pharoahs with GINA and STEPHANIE RENEE.

MIRI - Stephanie, you're in a sorority?
STEPHANIE RENEE - Yes, you didn't know that?

(GINA smiles.)

MIRI - Since when?
STEPHANIE RENEE - I pledged Alpha Kappa Alpha in spring ninety. I thought you knew that.

(They all sit down. Someone walks over and congratulates STEPHANIE again. She smiles and shakes their hand. MIRI looks bewildered.)

MIRI - I never knew you were in a sorority.
STEPHANIE RENEE - Yeah man, I pledged Gamma Epsilon chapter, Philadelphia city chapter.
GINA - I knew Stephanie was a soror from an e-mail listserv that I am on called the vine. So when I saw the fliers that she was going to be here and I knew that you knew her, I couldn't wait for this meeting.

(MIRI looks confused but smiles.)

MIRI - Ok, you got me.
GINA - See Stephanie, here is the deal. Miri is working on a piece, a play. It has to do with pledging and slavery but I read it and thought it may be a little disrespectful toward our organizations and processes. He thought that I was the only person that he knew in a sorority but I found out that he was good friends with you, I thought I would spring it on him that you are a soror too.
STEPHANIE RENEE - I definitely am a soror. As a matter of fact, there are two other poets on my team that are sorors as well.
MIRI - Are you serious?
STEPHANIE RENEE - Yeah. Miri you know Zenzele right?
MIRI - Yeah I know her.
STEPHANIE RENEE - She is a soror and so is Tonya Marie.
MIRI - You are kidding me.
STEPHANIE RENEE - Nope. It's the truth. You know L.I.F.E.?
MIRI - Don't tell me he is an AKA too?
STEPHANIE RENEE laughing - No silly, he is a brother of Kappa Alpha Psi.
MIRI - What?
STEPHANIE RENEE - Yeah, he pledged spring ninety like me and Ed Smith pledged Que in spring ninety one.
MIRI - Ed is greek too?
GINA - Miri I knew you knew people in fraternities and sororities. You just didn't know it. And I know you are not intentionally trying to be disrespectful. But you just need to be educated to certain things.
STEPHANIE RENEE - Exactly what is your piece about.
MIRI - I'm in so much shock, I almost forgot! It's a stage piece drawing on the correlation between pledging and being a slave.
STEPHANIE RENEE - Ok, I can see where that can be taken the wrong way. Do you think that people that pledge are forced into the mentality of slaves?
MIRI - I've seen people on line and I have seen some of the frats bark instructions to them. I have seen them look like they have been beat, sleepy, all kinds of shit.
STEPHANIE RENEE - Granted, people have to work hard to become members of organizations. But I was never put in danger for my life, and those people that put pledgees in those types of situations are totally wrong by the mandates of all of our organizations.
GINA - AKA is one of the best things I have ever done in my life. I wouldn't trade my experience for the world.
STEPHANIE RENEE - Same here. I have met wonderful sorors and brothers on my travels on the circuit and just in general. I have been able to perform for my Alpha brothers, for Kappas, at greek functions, all kinds of stuff. Pledging taught me the true meaning of hard work. The name of my line is Kaimia which is kiswahili for perserverance. And I have used what I have learned to work hard with my company, Creator's Child.
MIRI - I never knew so many people that I know personally were greek. Well honey, I guess you proved your point.
GINA - And you did say that if I did, you would help me to rewrite your project.
MIRI smiles - Yes I did.
GINA - Well I can't write to save my life. But I am sure my soror here could help.
MIRI - Would you Steph?
STEPHANIE RENEE - Sure. It would be my pleasure.

No comments: