Tuesday

Episode 50

We begin this week’s episode with SHAREESA who is in GREGG’s room. She just found the Father’s Day card that NINO left for GREGG.

SHAREESA thinks - Why would Gregg be getting a father’s day card?

NINO thinks - Oh shit! I left that card on the bed! Shareesa might see it! Damn! I’m not finished in here!

(NINO quickly finishes what he can in the bathroom. SHAREESA begins to read the card.)

CARD - Dad, we all felt bad when we only got you a red tie for Father’s Day last year...

So this year we got you a red handkerchief to match your red tie! Happy Father’s Day!

Ha Ha Nigga! I just want to know one thing! If you have a boy, will it be a Nupe like his daddy or a cheerleader like his mommy! Just jokes man, but really I got your back in whatever you decide to do. But how do you find yourself in such stupid situations?! - Nino.

(GREGG enters the room drinking from a water bottle. SHAREESA is startled and turns around. The card is behind her.)

GREGG - Wassup baby. You want some water?

SHAREESA - Uh...no. Let me get my bag though, I want to take an aspirin before I lie down.

GREGG - Are you ok?

SHAREESA - Yeah, just tired and I have to leave soon to go to the crossing of the girls.

GREGG - Aight.

NINO - Gregg! Gregg!

GREGG - Yeah wassup? I’ll be right back baby.

SHAREESA - Ok.

(GREGG walks out and SHARREESA quickly opens the card again and glances at it.)

CARD - Dad, we all felt bad when we only got you a red tie for Father’s Day last year...

So this year we got you a red handkerchief to match your red tie! Happy Father’s Day!

Ha Ha Nigga! I just want to know one thing! If you have a boy, will it be a Nupe like his daddy or a cheerleader...

(SHAREESA hears GREGG coming back so she quickly puts the card in her purse.)

GREGG - Did you take your pill?

(GREGG glances at the bed as if he is looking for something.)

SHAREESA - Yeah, I’m cool. You know, I think what I need is a walk. Some fresh air.

(GREGG is still looking near the bed for something.)

GREGG - Uh yeah, a walk. Um...do you need me to go with you...or something?

SHAREESA - No I will be fine. I got some old friends I can stop by and see. Plus I have to get ready to leave anyway.

GREGG - Uh...yeah...ok.

GREGG thinks - Where the hell is that card that Nino says he left?

(SHAREESA grabs her purse and a small bag.)

SHAREESA - I’ll just change while I’m out. Maybe at Sylvia’s or something. And then I will catch up with you later.

(SHAREESA is holding back tears.)

GREGG - Ok Shareece...are you ok?

(silence)

SHAREESA - My head just hurts.

GREGG - Ok. I hope you feel better.

SHAREESA - I will...soon.

(SHAREESA goes to leave. GREGG stops her.)

GREGG - Hey. I love you.

(GREGG hugs SHAREESA and tears fall. But she quickly wipes them away before GREGG can notice.)

SHAREESA - I’ll talk to you later on.

GREGG - Ok.

(SHAREESA walks out and sees NINO in the kitchen looking nervous.)

SHAREESA - See ya later frat.

NINO - Ok Shareesa. Good seeing you again.

(NINO looks at GREGG who is walking SHAREESA out. GREGG silently shrugs his shoulders to NINO in reference to the card. NINO looks confused.)

GREGG - You can just come back when you are done. I don’t plan on going out tonight.

SHAREESA - Ok.

(GREGG opens the door for SHARERESA and she walks out. He closes the door behind her.)

GREGG thinks - Dammit!

NINO whispering - Yo, did she see it? What happened?

GREGG - I don’t know. I didn’t see it and she didn’t say anything. Are you sure it was on the bed?

NINO - Of course I am. Man I am sorry, I didn’t know she was...

GREGG - I know man. I know you would not have done that shit on purpose.

NINO - Plus I thought you knew already.

GREGG - Dude I had no fucking idea! That bitch is saying she is pregnant by me? Dammit!

NINO - What are you gonna do?

GREGG - I don’t know.

(SHAREESA walks down the hall and turns at the end of the hall. She drops her head and begins to cry heavily.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our scenes change and we find ourselves at the Alpha House. The Alphas have assembled and the Sphinxmen are waiting in the basement. The Brothers are waiting on NINO.

BOBBY - I just want to take this time to congratulate Reggie on a job well done with the boys. He was very careful and stuck to the plan. We had one scare on the yard but that was handled. And congratulations to the chapter for your participation on bringing in another set of good brothers. Oh six!

REGGIE - Oh six! Thanks man. And thanks to all of you for your help and support.

DONTE - I have seen a lot of lines come in and I must say, these guys were impressive.

(There is a knock on the door.)

BOBBY - That’s probably Nino.

(BOBBY opens the door, he grips NINO.)

NINO - Sorry I’m late. I had a problem at the crib that I had to handle.

REGGIE - No problem.

(The Brothers sit down.)

REGGIE - Ok guys, most of you know how this works. But let me explain for you first timers like Nino.

WIL - Nino! Bout to be a prophyte kid! How does it feel?

NINO - I’m ready man! I am proud of these guys.

(In the basement.)

SPHINXMEN singing - Somebody pleeease...

Heeeelp meeeee...

I want to be an Alpha...

I’m down on my kneeees!

Somebody pleeease...

Heeeelp meeeee...

I want to be an Alpha...

I’m down on my kneeees!

SPHINXMAN LARRY thinks - I am ready! I am ready for whatever the fuck the big brothers bring my way! I have worked hard for this! I remember when I was sitting right upstairs and I said that stupid shit to Big Brother Ezah about wanting to pledge just for the ladies! Damn! That shit sure has changed. I remember being a scared interest. Now I am ready for whatever! What! I want to be an Alpha! Aint nobody holding me back!

Somebody pleeease...

Heeeelp meeeee...

I want to be an Alpha...

I’m down on my kneeees!

(Upstairs)

REGGIE - So brothers, here are the line names. Number one, Sphinxman Larry is...Memnun. Memnun was a warrior. But unlike most warriors. He would fight whomever, whenever, wherever for what he believed. He tried to defended his mother against attackers and held back forty men by himself. But he didn’t become an affective warrior until he channeled his energy and aggresiveness and used his strentgh to focus and attack. This made him a well rounded leader, aggresive yet smart. That is how I see Larry. Hyper and energetic. Down for whatever but cunning and smart. Memnun.

BOBBY - Oh six!

REGGIE - Larry’s alias is The Brown Bomber. Put that little nigga in the ring and he will be just like The Brown Bomber, Joe Louis. Shit, he may knock out Mike Tyson if you get him mad enough.

NINO - Ha ha ha ha! I like that. Memnun alias The Brown Bomber. Oh six!

(In the basement.)

SPHINXMEN singing - Somebody pleeease...

Heeeelp meeeee...

I want to be an Alpha...

I’m down on my kneeees!

Somebody pleeease...

Heeeelp meeeee...

I want to be an Alpha...

I’m down on my kneeees!

SPHINXMAN JASON thinks - I have fucked up from the beginning. But I tried to spring back. I tried my best. Everything wrong has happened to me since this whole process started. I remember playing my boys and boning Theresa when I should have been here at the Alpha house. I remember telling the big brothers I was in the library to cover that shit up. I remember Nino covering for me once he found out that I had lied. I remember Theresa sending that e-mail out against me...that bitch! I remember wanting to kill her! I remember seeing her across the yard and walking up on her...I remember hitting her! Dammit that shit was fucked up! I wasn’t a man that night! I shouldn’t have hit her! I have learned the true meaning of manhood. I have to apologize and fix things. I have to apologize...to be a true man...a true Alpha man!

Somebody pleeease...

Heeeelp meeeee...

I want to be an Alpha...

I’m down on my kneeees!

(Upstairs)

REGGIE - Sphinxman number two. Jason. My boy Jason. Jason showed up a shady nigga. He tried to get over on us and then he was gone. Then he came back trying to come correct and then he was gone again because of that e-mail. He then came back once the e-mail shit was corrected, and then he hits that girl. Then he came back once the boys were kicked off line and fixes the situation and gets the approval of the big brothers. And I truly feel in my heart that he wants to correct what he did to Theresa. Or at least try. Sphinxman Jason’s line name is Aparra. It means the child that comes and goes.

NINO - Yeah baby, that shit is phat!

REGGIE - His first alias is Iceberg Slim. His second alias is Shaft, because that nigga will pimp slap your ass!

WIL - Ha ha ha ha ha ha, oh shit!

DONTE - Bruh, I hear it!

TREY - Oh six!

(In the basement.)

SPHINXMEN singing - Somebody pleeease...

Heeeelp meeeee...

I want to be an Alpha...

I’m down on my kneeees!

Somebody pleeease...

Heeeelp meeeee...

I want to be an Alpha...

I’m down on my kneeees!

SPHINXMAN QUINTON thinks - This time is a long time coming. I don’t know what is going to happen next. But I am ready. I have grown. I remember that day on the yard when I approached the brothers so indiscreetly. What the hell was I thinking. I remember being scared...so scared...so scared. Thank God for Alpha. It has helped me become a man. I would have been a man anyway, but thank God for Alpha.

(SPHINXMAN QUINTON starts to cry.)

SPHINXMAN QUINTON thinks - Thank God for my line brothers, for my big brothers! Thank God for my dean!

(SPHINXMAN QUINTON sings harder as the tears fall from his face.)

SPHINXMAN QUINTON thinks - I have to always be there for my frat brothers. I have to always step forward and do my part. I have to always come forth and show myself approved! I have to always step out ! I have to always step forward! I have to always lead! I have to lead! Thank you Lord for this experience!

Somebody pleeease...

Heeeelp meeeee...

I want to be an Alpha...

I’m down on my kneeees!

(Upstairs)

REGGIE - Last but certainly not least, Sphinxman Quinton. I have never seen anyone rise to the occasion like Quinton. He has grown up on line. He has stepped out in the front and become a real leader. Sphinxman Quinton’s line name is Nefer' Tmu the Third Ra. Nefer' Tmu means personification of the sun. An egyptian god that personifies the sun, just as the sun always comes forth, so does Nefer' Tmu. The Third Ra represents the third ray or the third light from the sun god Ra. Quinton is the third ray of the light of the world that is Alpha two thousand. He is number three, thus the Third Ra.

BOBBY - Damn, that is deep. I like that shit!

REGGIE - His aliases are Hermes for being the line spokesman.

TREY - True that!

REGGIE - And The Negotiator.

TREY - True that too! I hear it!

BOBBY - Good shit bros!

REGGIE - Let’s go down and get these boys. We got some new Alphas to initiate.

DONTE - Hell yeah! A phi!

BROTHERS - Oh six!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We next find the ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha and the Ivies, PRESJINA, JUNE and KATRICE. They have gathered in the Burke Building on campus. They will conduct the crossing there.

MAXINE - I asked you ladies to be here a little early today because I want to explain what is going on. The ivies are in the next room so don’t talk so loud.

APRIL - What’s up now? What more can go wrong?

MAXINE - When PJ ran out of the room...

OCTAVIA - Yeah she broke my damn phone! She’s buying me a new one...when she crossses!

MAXINE - I’m serious!

OCTAVIA - Sorry.

MAXINE - When PJ left the room she called Soror Ferguson. She told Soror Ferguson that she was an ivy and that she has been pledging AKA all this time.

APRIL - What!

OCTAVIA - Oh no!

MAXINE - The good news is that Soror Ferguson took it very well.

SYLVIA - Yeah. Apparently, PJ laid it on the line and really told Soror Ferguson the true meaning of pledging. Of what working hard for AKA really means and Soror Ferguson had a recollection of how things should go.

MAXINE - PJ almost had her in tears.

OCTAVIA - Way to go PJ!

MAXINE - Well Soror Ferguson has agreed to look in Mona’s room to see if she finds her missing paraphanelia. If she finds it, she will remove Mona from this process and not allow her to become an AKA now.

APRIL - Hallelujah!

MAXINE - But don’t praise too soon. She may bust us for having a line in the first place. She may find the paraphanelia and get so upset that she turns us in.

OCTAVIA - That’s true.

SYLVIA - But we wanted you here a few minutes early because Mona will be here any minute. She has been informed of the crossing by Soror Bergen who will also be here in a few minutes.

APRIL - Damn!

(SOROR FERGUSON is sitting in her car across from MONA’s dorm.)

SOROR FERGUSON thinks - I can’t believe I am spying on my own daughter. But sure enough, the paraphanelia wasn’t in my house where I thought I had put it. I have to at least check Mona’s place. For my own sanity...and the promise I made to Presjina. Mona should be leaving soon or she is going to be late.

(Just at that thought, MONA walks out. SOROR FERGUSON ducks down and MONA’s boards the shuttle bus to campus.)

SOROR FERGUSON - Ok. Here we go.

(SOROR FERGUSON gets out of the car and walks through the front door of the dorm.)

ASHANTE - Well now that we are all aware, let’s go into the room with the ivies. We need to say some last encouraging words to them. It is almost time.

SYLVIA - Yeah, let’s go.

(The AKA’s enter the room where the Ivies are.)

IVIES - Greetin...

MAXINE - Shut up! You don’t greet us in this setting! Sheesh!

(APRIL and OCTAVIA laugh to themselves.)

SYLVIA - Everyone have a seat. Ashante.

ASHANTE - Ladies, I just want to say congratulations. It was a pleasure meeting and getting to know all of you. Presjina, June and Katrice. Soon we will welcome you into the loving arms of Alpha Kappa Alpha. I can’t wait and I know you can’t either. Once again, congratulations.

SYLVIA - April.

APRIL - I know yall don’t like me.

(The Sorors laugh.)

APRIL - But I was hard on yall for a reason. It’s because I knew you had great potential. As a line and as individuals. I have never been prouder as a woman of Alpha Kappa Alpha. For each one of you. I am so happy.

(JUNE starts to cry.)

APRIL - I am so happy that my little sisters...

(APRIL chokes up.)

APRIL - ...are coming into the family. I love you all. And I cherish the bond that we now share. And to PJ, you have been a true friend to me. I think there are some things we need to discuss, but know deep down...I love you PJ.

(APRIL starts to cry. So does PJ.)

SYLVIA - Octavia.

OCTAVIA - You three have become my babies. And soon you will be my sisters. We will sing the hymn together. We will be sorors. I know you have dreamed many many times of this day. It is almost upon us. I love each of my sorors. Everywhere. But especially the sorors that made me and the sorors I had the priviledge to help make. You ladies were sorors when we first met. It was just a matter of time to make it official. You ladies, June, Katrice and PJ deserve this. You worked very hard and did all that you had to do. Congratulations ladies. Congratulations sorors!

(KATRICE starts to cry. OCTAVIA walks over and hugs JUNE. JUNE is crying on her shoulder.)

OCTAVIA whispers - I love you spec.

JUNE - I love you too.

(SOROR FERGUSON gets off the elevator and walks to MONA’s door. She reaches in her purse and gets her key to MONA’s room.)

SOROR FERGUSON thinks - I love you Mona.

(SOROR FERGUSON opens the door and walks in. She closes and locks the door behind her.)

SOROR FERGUSON - I guess she would have it in her trunk. Where is the trunk?

(SOROR FERGUSON goes to the bed and gets on her knees. She looks under the bed and doesn’t see the trunk.)

SOROR FERGUSON thinks - I can’t believe I am on the floor in my daughter’s room snooping around! What is wrong with me? I can’t do this!

SOROR FERGUSON - And if I do find the paraphanelia?

IVY PRESJINA - Then you and I both know that you have a job to do. Not an easy one, but one nonetheless.

(SOROR FERGUSON closes her eyes. She gets up and opens the closet door.)

SOROR FERGUSON - Mona’s trunk.

(SOROR FERGUSON drags the trunk out of the closet and there is a combination lock on it.)

SOROR FERGUSON - I don’t know Mona’s combination! What would she use?

(SOROR FERGUSON tries MONA’S birthday.)

SOROR FERGUSON - Nine, twenty five, eighty.

(It doesn’t work.)

SOROR FERGUSON - Uh...let me see. AKA and Alpha...let me try...nineteen, oh six, oh eight.

(The lock opens.)

SOROR FERGUSON - Amazing!

(SOROR FERGUSON opens the trunk.)

SYLVIA - This has been the scariest time for me as basileus. We have had ups and downs this year. But I could not have done it without the love and support of the sorors in this chapter, and Ashante giving me advice the whole time. Thank you.

(GINA walks in.)

SYLVIA - Hey Soror.

GINA - Hi ladies.

(GINA sits down.)

SYLVIA - Thank you Ashante for always being there for me. Ladies, what will be bestowed upon you is more than an honor. This organization is a beautiful gift from God that you should cherish and hold close to your heart forever. Forever. Never forget the things you learned during this process. Don’t ever neglect a sister. Never disrespect the bond and carry this sisterhood with the utmost respect wherever you go. I hope the creator smiles on you all as he has smiled on Alpha Kappa Alpha. Max.

MAX - Well maybe Gina should go first before I speak. Soror, would you like to say a few words?

GINA - Sure, thank you. I just want to say that I have been shown nothing but love since I came to Ahpla. I was nervous about transferring but you sorors have made it a wonderful experience for me. I thank you for that. To the ivies, cherish this time. I miss my chapter so much. But know that you have family and sisters everywhere now. Congratulations.

OCTAVIA - you are very welcome soror.

MAXINE - Sorors, young, old and new. It has been an honor and a priviledge to have the responsibility to bring these deserving ladies into Alpha Kappa Alpha. When I was on line, I never imagined I would be the one with this great task. But you ladies have helped me come to my full potential by trying to help you see and meet yours. To Katrice, you have become stronger than you ever imagined. I knew you had it in you.

(KATRICE looks up through tear filled eyes.)

MAXINE - June, you are truly a historian. Your love and respect for the founders and foundation of this great organization is to be respected. PJ you came through hard as a rock. You kept your head when all around you were losing theirs and blaming it on you. Thank you ladies for the experience. Thank you.

(SHAREESA walks in. She has been crying but she speaks up.)

SHAREESA - Sorors, there is someone named Mona in the lobby. She is asking a lot of questions.

(Everyone looks around at each other.)

MAXINE - Ok everyone. Fix your faces. It’s showtime.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We rejoin the Alphas at the Alpha House with the SPHIXMEN.

BOBBY - You are now members of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity incorporated! Congratulations and oh six to my new frat brothers!

QUINTON - Is it over? Is it really over?

DONTE - Hell yeah! A phi!

ALL BROTHERS - Oh six!

(NINO hugs JASON. JASON begins to cry as NINO shows him the grip. QUINTON and LARRY hug each other.)

NINO - Bro, I am so proud of you! I got some gifts for you frat!

JASON - Word!

(NINO picks up a shirt and a key chain.)

NINO - Check out this shirt! New clothing line just for Alphas and AKA's called Phirst Pham Gear. And I got one for you and one for me.

JASON - Thanks! That's fat!

LARRY screams - Yeah! Hell yeah! A Phi! Oh six!

(The Brothers start to step together in the Alpha House.)

REGGIE - Everywhere we go...

BROTHERS - Yeah!

REGGIE - You tell the story!

BROTHERS - Yeah! You tell the whole damn world this is Alpha territory!...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOROR FERGUSON has taken all of her paraphanelia out of the trunk and laid it across the bed. She cries as she looks at a photo of her and MONA on MONA’s desk.

SOROR FERGUSON - Oh God. I gotta get to the campus.

SOROR BERGEN - Ok ladies. Are we ready?

MAXINE - Yes maam.

SOROR BERGEN - Good. Well then let’s bring in the four candidates and begin. I see you have a nice turn out of older sorors.

SYLVIA - Yes maam. Whenever we cross a line, many of the Ahpla sorors from the past come back to help us celebrate.

SOROR BERGEN - That is wonderful. Well let’s begin.

(MAXINE goes into the room where the ivies are.)

MAXINE - Ladies follow me.

IVY PRESJINA thinks - This is it! I hope Soror Ferguson is here!

IVY MONA thinks - This is it! I hope mommy is here!

(SOROR FERGUSON is driving to campus.)

SOROR FERGUSON - I love my baby. But I love Alpha Kappa Alpha. Too much to see anyone...even Mona not get it the correct way. Oh Lord.

(Someone cuts her car off and almost hits her.)

SOROR FERGUSON - Oh Lord my nerves. I can’t take this.

(SOROR FERGUSON pulls her car over.)

SOROR FERGUSON - Please Lord be with me. I know you know the pain and the difficulty of this human situation. Just guide me Lord and help me. Amen.

(She begins to drive again toward campus.)

IVY PRESJINA thinks - Where is Soror Ferguson?

IVY MONA thinks - Where is mom?

(SOROR FERGUSON pulls up on campus and tries to find parking. In the process, she drives up the block leading to the yard.)

SOROR FERGUSON - This is the same street we did our ivy march on years ago.

(silence)

SOROR FERGUSON thinks - I can’t let Mona do this! I can’t! I worked too hard! I can’t let her go through! She’s not ready!

(SOROR FERGUSON double parks her car by the Burke Building and runs up the stairs. She is breathing very heavy and her chest is hurting.)

SOROR FERGUSON thinks - I have to make it in there!

(SOROR FERGUSON busts in the double doors.)

SOROR FERGUSON screams - Wait! Stop!

(All the Sorors jump and look around. Everyone is startled and shocked. They all turn around and stare at SOROR FERGUSON who has just busted in.)

SOROR FERGUSON thinks - Did I make it on time?

MONA thinks - Mommy made it here for me!

PJ thinks - Will she stop Mona from crossing?

MAXINE thinks - Oh my God! Is she going to suspend us!

No comments: